A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Friday, January 30, 2009

It's just way too early in the morning

It really is way too early. I don't know what wakes me up, but I just can't seem to get back to sleep some mornings, so after an hour or so of tossing and turning and listening to DH and the dog snore, which makes me jealous and more restless as I try to get a few more ZZZs in myself, I finally get up. Most of the time on these mornings, I crack a book, which usually puts me back to sleep just about the time I'd need to get up and get moving anyway. This morning, I was already awake when DH made his nightly trip to the BR, which woke the dog, who paced the hall (clacking her toenails) trying to decide if she needed to come in and greet us or if she could go back to sleep, which made me more awake in my annoyance at listening to her. If I could accomplish something productive while lying in bed, I might be able to stay there longer. In years past, I'd take the time to pray, which was a sure cure for the insomnia, but that doesn't work anymore. Oh, I pray (mostly that I can get back to sleep), but after a while my back and neck are sore, and my head starts to ache ... oh, the pleasures of middle age!!! I wonder if sleep patterns revert to those of childhood as we get older and other aspects of life get more juvenile - like wearing purple with a red hat that doesn't go and doesn't suit me? Somehow I doubt it.

By the way that's one of my favorite poems, called Warning, and is the basis for the Red Hat Society. I have a crossstitch of it in our bedroom, just to remind me of the pleasures of getting older and enjoying life without the worries of what others think or whether time is being 'wasted'.

Well, thinking about wasting time - these last few months of not working have been very pleasurable - more than pleasurable, most of the time I think I've died and gone to heaven. Doing what I want, when I want, as slow or as fast as I want is wonderful. But I still need to accomplish something every day, thus the goals that I set for myself every week. So, I'm not really wasting away the time, but somehow it's not quite enough. I am finding more and more frequently that I'm restless and looking for something else. Thus the search for a job as mentioned in my last post. I've looked at the local library, and even applied for casual work - so far no calls. There's also a company that needs RNs to do insurance medicals - now they'd love to hire me, but I need to get certified in phlebotomies (blood-letting) first, and it may be some weeks before I can get into a course for that. So I've contacted my old boss to see what she might have for me to do. Any one of these would leave freedom to select my work-hours, and be able to spend time with DH, and do some of the fun things like quilting and jig-saw puzzles and camping and traveling and and baking bread and decorating cakes and reading and geocaching...

Now there's another new one for us - geocaching. What's that, you say? Well, I'm not really sure, but apparently it's got something to do with a GPS and hiking. We're getting a GPS from DH's barber, and plan to do some (very mild) hiking to find places where people have cached items for other people to find. It'll get us out and exercising some more and learning something else new.

I do love to learn new things, which has led me to some of the projects I've tackled lately. This week we went to meet with the Emergency Social Services folks (who are more than happy to have volunteers), and will be taking some courses so that we can be of service in the event of need. They also have a house - where they meet and plan and store and sort and, and , and - which is sadly in dire need of organizing. Now that's just up my alley, and the coordinator seemed really excited at having somebody on board who could maybe tackle some of that. So we'll also be starting a couple of on-line courses, and then there will be more to learn later. But it looks like we're in!!!

There's also cake decorating - something I've wanted to do for a long time. I registered for the class which was to start last week, but was cancelled because of a lack of students. So, hopefully it will be a go next month.

Well, honestly as I read back on this, I think life is pretty darn full. It's no wonder I wake up so early in the morning - sleeping would eat away too much time!!!

This past week's goals were mostly met - except the weight loss - I'm sorry to have to admit that I actually gained a pound!! I'm going to sign off now and start a separate blog to let you in on a little more of my life this past week, and practice some new blogging techniques.

1 comment:

  1. HI Peg,
    NIce to meet you and thank you for coming to visit my blog.
    I am glad you were able to safely return home- we have had a strange winter in Alberta- One week it is cold and the next week it is balmy with rain. The streets outside our house are like glass and not very easily accessible so driving is quite exciting.
    Your anniversary quilt is coming around quite nicely. If it was me, I think I would put hearts or stars- if you used a fusible to applique it is one way to make it easier. I have had very little experience with appliquing so I am not the right person to give you advice :D) . I look forward to seeing what shape that you decide on..
    Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete