A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Friday, March 13, 2009

Emotions – who wants them?

It’s been a very emotional week here, and I’m feeling exhausted. Last night I fell asleep in the chair before ‘Bones’ was finished, so landed in bed at 9:30, consequently was awake at 4:30 never to find sleep again. I read to try to fill the time until the dogs woke up, then got onto the computer to catch up with email, do this blogging, and then I’ll go on to finish up some strata work and do my weekly personal and strata banking.
But, back to emotions. Right now, I’d like somebody else to take over and experience this all for me. The week started out with finally getting the cabinet doors on our old entertainment center – pleasure, relief (that we didn’t have to find a different cabinet-maker), satisfaction.

Then we went car-shopping – stress, anticipation, wariness (dealing with car salesmen). We found a few vehicles that could fit the bill in our price range, but wanted to look a little more to make sure we made the best purchase. We were even prepared to talk to the saleswoman at the local GM dealer to look for just the right vehicle for us. Got home Friday evening and opened the newspaper and there it was – a 2009 Uplander for nearly $10000 off list price. We phoned Ingrid at GM who assured us this was not false advertising, and we made an appointment to go in Saturday morning for a test drive. We fell in love (more emotion) – lots of room, peppy, reasonable gas mileage, excellent price, full warranty, and a pair of Olympic tickets to boot! We couldn’t pass it up – and now we were really excited! We picked it up Monday morning, after dealing with the money and insurance – tension, indecision, relief – and started driving it – now I feel resentment at every mile the odometer clicks! Wouldn’t it be nice to have a vehicle that stayed at 34 km for at least a day or two? They also gave us free On-star for a year – so we had the fun of experimenting with that – I’ve made 3 phone calls hands free and love that!!

In the meantime, Jemma the lab has still been not feeling well. On Tuesday she tossed both breakfast and lunch, so we called the vet to make an appointment for an ultrasound (all other tests and x-rays hadn’t given us a definitive diagnosis). This created more stress, anxiety, indecision. Wednesday afternoon, we got the word – she has an infiltrating (versus a mass-type) tumor of her stomach/small intestine. There was some relief at having an answer, but then came more indecision and anxiety, and grief. We broke the news to our DS, who actually is her owner but working in NWT for a few months right now – more crying and grief. We’ve been told we probably only have a few weeks, and DS will be here in a few days – so excitement to see him, anxiety at knowing he’ll be travelling, stress at knowing we all have to make a decision for Jemma. Then there was the stress of breaking the news to the rest of the family. The tears are what has probably been the most exhausting – thank the Lord for a wonderful husband and friends who are willing to listen to me blubber.

This is a picture shortly after Jemma came to stay with us – alongside our basset, Sadie. Aren’t they both beautiful? Jemma has lost 2 pounds in the last 2 weeks, tires very quickly, but has not vomited for the last 2 days. Not sure if that’s good or bad, but we’ll take what we can get.

Work has gone okay – and I’ve been able to work out a regular schedule with the team, so that I know what I’m doing, and still have the freedom, being casual, to take off whatever time I need to be able to carry on with my real life.

The strata council met on Tuesday to finalize the budget and plans for the AGM coming up next month, so there’s a lot of relief around having that process completed. Now just to get the paperwork done up in preparation for the AGM – one of my goals for today.

Weight – down another pound and a bit – satisfaction and relief and joy and anticipation (of soon reaching my goal).

Consequently – once again – no quilting has been done at all. My sister has just challenged me to make a quilt using one of her mandalas (concentric diagram having ritual and spiritual significance in Buddhism and Hinduism) as a pattern, so that’s coming. The t-shirt quilt won’t be ready for another 3-4 weeks, and then the quilter will take the anniversary quilt. Slowly the family have been sending me their signatures and messages that will eventually be appliqued on the quilt – so some progress is being made. The quilting group have apparently chosen a Trip-Around-the-World pattern to do as a group challenge, making a scrappy quilt, so once I get that I’ll have a project to start on. A friend wants some table runners done, so there’s another project. It’s certainly not for lack of projects that I’ve not been at the machine – just lack of time!!
So forward to another week – I think I’ll not plan on too many goals and just take it a day at a time. But there is the ever-present plan to lose some weight, and now to get ready for DS to arrive later in the week, and work 5 shifts this week. So much for not setting goals!!
Have a wonderful weekend, everybody – God bless you all!
Peg

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear`about the dog, what a shame.
    Interesting quilt challenge?

    ReplyDelete