A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Quilter Heaven

I know, I know, I’ve been away for nearly 2 weeks – and what have I been doing?  Well one of the things was the Sewing and Crafts Show on Friday and Saturday last week.  I look forward to this event every year, an opportunity to shop for reasonable prices at several quilting/fabric/notions stores all in one place, take a lesson or two or sometimes five, visit with quilting buddies and just revel in the atmosphere, sights and sounds.
I wish I’d remembered to bring my camera, but …
Here’s a little taste of the show in the purchases I made:
100_3907 This 6-hour quilt pattern may answer to the request my niece has made: dog bed covers to sell in her shop.  It’s quilt-as-you-go, so as soon as I clear up a little of what’s on my pile of projects, I’ll be experimenting.  It’s suggested the quilt be done on a surger, so I need to practice with the surger and see if it’s going to do the job – having some problems with it, so not sure.
But on that note, I did take in a seminar called Surger Success.  Carola Russell from Gibson’s up on the Sunshine Coast was the instructor.  She’s fabulous, and really knows her fabrics, threads, machines, techniques.  She gave lots of tips for keeping a surger working well, and for getting successful projects.  My surger is an old Brother that was given to me by a friend who got it from another friend who apparently hadn’t used it in years.  I had it tuned up and took a quick lesson but have done very little on it so far.  The last time I had it out, I was having tension problems, but Carola addressed that in her talk, so I have some ideas now how to tackle this.
But back to the Show – these fabrics found their way into my bag:
100_3909 Some of them are ‘just because’.  The Easter eggs I fell in love with – no idea what will happen to it but some day!!  The dog print and plaid are for a potential dog bed cover – will need something more to go with it, but that will come.  The western print is set aside to use in our trailer where we have a western theme, and I have a number of fabrics now to work with to come up with some projects.  The cloverleafs – well I always wanted a table topper for St. Paddy’s Day.
At one booth, I spent enough to get a free kit to make this little goodie:100_3908 I just need to sew on the button and I have a little purse to carry around my cabin key when we’re on a cruise.
Then notions:
100_3912 The ‘sticks’ are for making the bias tubes for Celtic or Stained Glass quilts – another one of my dreams.  The little ruler is for marking squares to sew and cut triangles.  The music buttons are for Homespun Harmony which is still in progress.  And I just fell in love with the Easter buttons – again, no idea what I’m going to do with them.
Then one of the free magazines had this gem of an idea:
100_3913 Now I need to learn how to smock.
On Monday, we decided to make a quick trip up to Kelowna to visit my parents – sunshine, good roads, they were home – so off we went.  We had a great visit, and one of my sisters had left a package with them for me:
100_3911 This is a bed-topper that was in the spare room of my grandparents’ home in Calgary.  They passed away in 1979 and 1986, and my sister has had this packed away all these years.  She thought I might like to have it (or it was going to a thrift store somewhere).   I snapped it up right away – it’s a wonderful memento of beloved grandparents, and brings back memories of visiting them.  Completely reversible, it will take proud place on the back of our sofa – light colors for summer, darker for winter.
Goals – well, I didn’t get much sewing/quilting done, I didn’t reach my weight goal, but I (obviously) did get to the Sewing and Crafts Show.  Not sure what my goals for the week are – we’ll be spending 4 days in the trailer so don’t imagine a lot will be accomplished. 
Have a wonderful blessed Easter honoring our Lord’s sacrifice for all his beloved.                        Peg

3 comments:

  1. So nice to see you back! What lovely fabrics you have found. I dont think I have ever made a quilt in 6 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was that not one great sewing show? I went with my daughters and managed to spend a fair bit of money as well...but gave it to the girls after all that anyway. Thanks for sharing. I was so pleased to find your blog and hope to stop by now and again...and just when it sounds like you are gong on a vacation...have a wonderful time. Elma

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the first time I have seen a t,shirt quilt , I really like it. I went to buy fabric last Friday and sat talking to a lady ,she had a large bag with her made out of capri,sun fruit juice cartons. It was the front of the cartons sashed together. Very original,perhaps you would like to look at a quilt I put on my blog yesterday. Please leave a comment---cottonreel

    ReplyDelete