A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life


I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

From Wedding Shopping to Hospital Visits

Well, it’s been an interesting week, to say the least. It started out last Friday with DD and fiance arriving in the evening to spend the weekend with all of us to do some wedding planning and shopping. Not only did we shop, we partied!! Friday evening a joint family dinner at the future in-laws. Saturday, lunch out in between shopping malls. Saturday evening a BBQ to celebrate the engagement. Sunday, another joint family dinner out with extended family from our side. The kids left Sunday evening (flights were way too expensive to fly on Victoria Day).

The shopping spree was extremely successful. We found the wedding dress – first stop (not the first dress of course) – very reasonable price. I’m not going to post a picture, because I don’t want to let out any secrets. Suffice it to say, my DD will be a beautiful bride. But here’s a pic of DD (on the right) and her future MIL and one of the bridesmaids at lunch.

 We went on to search for ideas for bridesmaids’ dresses and dresses for MOG and MOB – got some good ideas, but didn’t actually buy anything. We came home happy-tired.

The BBQ was up on a hill with a gorgeous view of the valley. So many of the kids’ friends from high school, and their parents, and their children gathered to celebrate. The food was great, the company was fantastic, the weather was perfect. And I met an old high school chum – mother of one of the friends – we had a wonderful time catching up. The hosts have several ATVs, including one kid-size (it was amazing watching 4-year-olds handling that machine), which kids of every age enjoyed. This next pic is DD and fiance on one of them.

Sunday after lunch, DD, her future MIL, and I made a stop at Michael’s to choose a wedding album. It’s become my tradition to give the girls an album (2 previous DILs). DD was successful in selecting an album style, and pages and a few add-ons to make a wonderful memory album. As a fabric artist, MIL will be making a crazy quilt cover for the album to perfectly suit DD’s style.

After all that activity, Monday was a blessed relaxing day at home. I actually got some quilting done while DH made a shelf attachment for the bed-slide in the back of our pick-up truck.

 This is my version of the Scrappy Trips challenge from our Monday evening group. Backed with flannel, it’ll be a nice cuddle quilt for winter evenings.
 The shelf on the bed-slide just helps everything to be neat and tidy and accessible – we’re really ready to hit the road for our next trip now. Just have to get the labels on the boxes.

Monday evening we had friends in for dinner – a great time just being together.

I’m not sure where Tuesday and Wednesday went, but somehow I didn’t seem to get anything concrete accomplished and still never sat around. Thursday was house-cleaning – and the good news that I dropped another couple of pounds.

Friday I had an appointment in Vancouver, to meet with the trainer at a paramedical company with whom I’m contracting to do some insurance medicals. We had plans to do a couple of extra things while we were headed that way, so wanted to leave the house fairly early in the day.

Before we got out the door, the phone rang – Mom phoning to let me know Dad is in the hospital. This was a real shock, because my father doesn’t get sick. He’s rarely visited a doctor, only had one hospital stay in his life when he fell off a ladder and fractured a couple of discs (extremely fortunate to have avoided spinal cord damage), is still working at renovation jobs – at 81 years of age, I might add. At that time, Mom didn’t know exactly what was wrong, but the day before he’d had extreme abdominal pain, and agreed to having an ambulance called – that told me he was really not feeling well!! I promised to call back when we got home from Vancouver, and held him in my prayers through the day.

The day went well – I found a lovely dress (not for the wedding but just to have), we shopped at Bosa’s – an Italian market that is next door to heaven for DH who is the cook in this household, I got through my training session while DH spent the afternoon at a park with the dog.

Arriving home, there was a message from Mom – Dad had appendicitis, surgery to be done that afternoon. I called her back to hear that he was out of surgery, awake and already taking charge again. This, though, determined how I was going to spend Saturday: my parents live in Kelowna, about 3 hours drive away. DH was committed to helping a friend build his deck, and we didn’t want to delay because weather was good and DH’s brother was coming out from PoCo to help as well.

So, off I went early Saturday morning. Dad looked great when I got there, very little discomfort, and up and walking a bit, so I thought ‘oh, good, I can relax now’. Oh, and he’s fighting a bladder infection as well. After a short visit, I went out to their house, where DS1 joined us. We had a good lunch and a visit with Mom, who decided she’d just let the two of us go back for an afternoon visit and she’d go in the evening when traffic would be a little lighter (she doesn’t drive much anymore so it can be a bit tense for her). When DS1 and I got back to the hospital, Dad had developed a fever, and the doctor had decided not to feed him yet. He still looked pretty good, and we walked a bit, but his eyes were a bit shiny and he was a little unsteady on his feet. As active and vital as he’s always been, it’s hard to remember that age is not on his side in an instance like this. He’ll be a couple more days in hospital, just getting back to normal. I’ll phone this morning and see how the evening was for him.

So, that was the week. The coming week is a work-week - I’m doing vacation relief, day-time this go-round, so don’t plan to do much else. I hope you all have a wonderful week.


  1. Peg, had missed you. Thanks for your well written story. I had our last daughter married 2 years ago and now we are in the planning for the first granddaughter to wed. I will need a GMOB dress for the first time. Prayers will be with your Dad and family. Please visit my blog at some time. I would like to give you a WOW pin, I don't know how to have you pick it up. Just know I see you as a woman of strength.

  2. Peg, what a worry for you. I'll keep your father in prayer.

  3. Hope all is well with your Dad. I love the Scrappy Trips quilt!