A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Back to normal

Well, since getting home from our holiday life seems to have settled back into normal, but then I sometimes wonder what normal is. For us lately it seems to be living from one moment to the next, with no real plans, goals, or direction. And that has meant that setting and keeping goals has gone out the window.
This last week has been busy, sometimes I’m not sure with what, but I always seem to be on the move.
Saturday, we spent the day at the Vancouver Scottish Association Highland Games, officialling for the Heavy Events BC Championships. Highland Games gets its name from the athletic events that began in Scotland in ancient times – any Scottish gathering that doesn’t include athletics can’t be called Games, but instead is called a Festival or Gathering. In North America the emphasis has become the pipe bands and Highland dancers, so when we’re at Games, we’re surrounded with a lot of Scottish culture.
We’ve been involved with the Heavy Events for 10 or so years, since our DS1 started competing. For those of you who don’t know what that is – have you ever seen the big guys turning the telephone pole (actually called a caber)? Well, that’s just one event of several that include hammer throwing and stone putting. Here’s a picture of DH judging the stone throw. DH is on the left in the hat, no kilt. Somehow in the rush getting out the door in the morning, our kilts got left behind. The thrower here is our local club president, who also fills the role of MC for the day.

I spent my day on the computer recording scores and tracking rankings and records. We’re gearing up for the World Heavy Events Championship next May in Victoria. Next weekend, we’ll be at Kamloops for their annual Highland Games.
After the long day on Saturday, Sunday was very restful. In the morning DH's brother and sister-in-law came out to clean their trailer after the trip. And in the afternoon DS2 and DIL came to cook dinner for us and her parents to honor Father’s Day (late because we were away) and DH’s birthday. They did beer-can chicken, roast potatoes with carrots, coleslaw and a fabulous apple crisp. We had a wonderful time visiting.
Monday I finally got to do some quilting, Tuesday got around to doing some organizing in the garage. Then Wednesday was Canada Day. We spent the morning at the local park, greeting friends and honoring our country’s dominion. In the afternoon, we tried some geocaching, but couldn’t track down any treasures. We need to do some more learning about how this GPS works, I guess.
Thursday and Friday I worked, and here we are back at Saturday again, wondering where the time went this week.
Today DH is going out to start a reno job. And I have my first assignment to do an insurance medical. I’m a little nervous about that, hoping I don’t forget anything.
The coming week – well, you know what, I think I’ll just take each day as it comes. Tuesday I’m meeting with friends to start a quilt project, and other than that nothing particular on the calendar until we leave for the Games on Friday.
Until next time – God bless you all.
Peg

5 comments:

  1. What a busy time!
    The games sound such fun, very Scottish.
    Although we have visited Vancouver many times en route to my daughter's home further north, I hadnt realise what a Scottish background there was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are having a great time. Good for you. I am going to look up the name, but I think Bardstown, Ky. has a competitor in the Highland games. I think shot put. Is that a competition? I think his name is Oberhausen. There are probably several places where Highland games are played. I am just piecing my quilt right along.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, in spite of throwing the goals out the window, it sounds like you had a marvelous week, as well as accomplishing a lot when you look back...fun and accomplishment....does it get better than this? and all while the sun is shining!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it a small world Peg. Enjoy getting to know you. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I was wrong about the name. It is Kerry Oberfelt.

    ReplyDelete