A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Memories

Yesterday was my cousin C’s birthday.  She and I often had parties together as young children as our birthdays are very close, and we’re born the same year, and we lived in the same city.  C was the pretty little blond with the ringlets her mother created with rags - I was the freckle-face with the unruly red-brown curls.  As teenagers, C was the tall, slim blond, confident and strong  - I was just simply short.  I used to admire C and all the worldly knowledge and perceived wisdom she had.  Every year I think of her on her special day, and then I’m flooded with childhood memories.

Memories of grandparents – grandpa’s pipe, grandma’s chicken noodle soup and strudel. 

Memories of aunts, uncles, and cousins gathered for Sunday dinner, weddings, anniversaries.  

Memories of the Calgary Stampede with my aunt and C. 

Memories of getting in the car with our parents, and heading out destination unknown, until we turned a certain corner and we knew we were headed for our aunt and uncle’s farm, and a different set of cousins.

Memories of space to run, playing football with the neighborhood, sledding and skating right in our own back yard, learning to ride a bike with my best friend next door, walking to school – droves of us, piano lessons and recitals, dreaming of being a ballerina when a neighbor offered a couple of us some lessons, riding horses at a friend’s ranch.

And then other Memories of the BC families, the long drive almost every year to keep connected with those grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.  And eventually moving to BC, after which the drive turned and went the other way.

I’m not sure why it’s C’s birthday that always brings this all back, but I revel in what a wonderful childhood I had, and the family – both immediate and extended – that made it so.  I haven’t even seen C since our grandfather passed away some 30 years ago, although I’m regularly in touch with her mother.  Our lives have gone completely different directions, and really the only thing we have in common now is our childhood.  Maybe someday we can get together and reminisce.

Wishing you all happy memories.       Peg

3 comments:

  1. I agree about this time of year and memories. I called my only living relative on my father's side today. She is 95 and her mind is clear as a bell. She answers the phone kind of sleepily but perks up when we start to talk about old memories. I was a good thing I did. Can't wait to see the wedding pictures in all the tropical glory. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that is a lot of memories...sometimes it isn't a person but a smell that will bring back memories for me. :)
    thank you for the comment on my blog, gave me a smile that was needed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peg - It's been a long time since I came by your blog and I loved catching up on all your news. Sounds like life can't get any busier for you what with all the sewing projects ( amazing!) and all the preparing for the wedding. How exciting that it's in the Dominican Rep. Best wishes to the happy couple and have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete