A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Good Reads

This morning I have been inspired by other readers. Reading has been my passion since I learned to read at about 5 years old. As a child I’d often have 3 and 4 books on the go at one time, waking up early in the morning to have quiet time on my own before my brothers and sisters got up, going to bed early at night so that I could read before my sister said it was time for ‘lights out’.
As I’m getting older, I find I can’t keep track of more than one book at a time, and reading often puts me to sleep (except when I want it to LOL). Right now I’m trying to read The Quincunx by Charles Palliser, a Canadian bestseller, and loaned by a friend. It’s written in Dickensian style, which makes it hard going, but is a fascinating story so far.

For Christmas we got a gift-card to Chapters from our DD and SIL - we made a trip out to shop a couple of days ago and picked up a couple of high recommends. The first I'd heard about a long time ago, The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls - a story of children so neglected by their parents they have to raise themselves. The prequel has also been written, titled Half-Broke Horses, which we also want to read when we get this one done. The other book we bought is Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Zafon set in post-war Spain, promises to be a good read.

Anna at Quiltmom’s Journey listed a number of novels she’s reading, some of which I’ve read, but many that I’ve not even heard of before, some with quilting themes to them – I’ll be trying some of those out as soon as I can get my hands on them. I really enjoy mysteries, and especially those with some kind of needlework (quilting, cross stitch, knitting) basis because I can relate to the characters. Two of my favorite authors are Earlene Fowler and Jennifer Chiaverini – must check to see when their next new books are coming out. My sister is a knitter and has shared on Facebook recently a book that she read with a knitting theme, Fleece Navidad – want to try that one out too.

Lovella at What Matters Most has inspired me to get back into reading my Bible on a regular basis. I have several Bibles, many of them written in, underlined, highlighted through the years of Bible studies and Sunday School classes, and put back on the shelf when they got too full to add anymore to them, or started to fall apart, but saved so the thoughts and inspirations and admonitions could be reviewed every now and again. My current Bible sits on the table next to my favorite reading spot, just waiting for me to open it. Sadly, I have to say that it’s been rather neglected the last while – just sheer laziness on my part. Hopefully Lovella’s inspiration will get me started and keep me going – learning from and loving God’s Word again.
So here’s to good reading – what are your favorite books?
Peg

3 comments:

  1. Peg I have to admit, I have not read much since staring to blog and into photography more. I am reading True Compass, Edward Kennedy's autobiography. I love history and true stories. I too need to be more faithful to my bible reading. The weather is good for the reading hobby, too good for me to get out for fun. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peg,
    I loved Earlene Fowler and Jennifer Chiaverini and have read most of their books too. I know that Arlene Sachitano's books are about quilting and are quilting mysteries. The first one is called " Quilt as desired".
    You might enjoy Emilie Richards books too.
    Happy Reading.
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peg,
    Thanks for the comment on my blog. I'm happy to help you find the link to add the Bible to your sidebar.
    Go to this site ..
    http://labs.bible.org/
    and click on Bible in a year. Copy and Paste the part in the box and put it into a gadget in your layout. Look for the gadget that says add third party html. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete