A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Home Alone

Well, not quite all alone at first.
DH is in Calgary helping DS1 to drywall the rooms in his basement.  Two days before he left my brother and sister-in-law arrived for a visit.
But the days without DH have had their own little flavor of ‘Home Alone’.  Thursday evening, I slightly burnt the bottom of the pot I was cooking potatoes in.  Friday morning, I put the pot on the stove, with some soapy water to boil to loosen the char so it would be easier to clean.  Then went off to show something on the computer to my SIL.  Next thing we knew, we could smell something burning.  Ran to the kitchen to find the water had completely boiled out of the pot and the kitchen was filled with smoke!   When we opened the windows, the air moved the smoke to the smoke alarm and not only did it go off, but the fire siren started outside the house as well.  The alarm company called to make sure we weren’t burning down, but I couldn’t hear them between the two alarms.  And I couldn’t remember the code to reset the alarms.  What a circus!  Trying to find a quiet spot to hear what the technician was trying to tell me, and trying to find the alarm code, and worrying about the neighbors (funnily nobody came to check us out).  The cat found a hiding place as soon as the noise started and wasn’t coming out for anything and we couldn’t see her – I did worry that she’d got out a door at some point and ran away, but she eventually found her way out.
So, I’ve reset the alarm code to a number that I can remember, and written it down in half a dozen places so we can find it if/when we need it again.
Now that my visitors have gone, the house is so very quiet!!  DH took the dog with him, so it’s just me and the cat.  I have got some quilting done:
011 The quilt top for DS1 is together.
A LQS has a BOM going right now – actually called ‘Row by Row’.  This is the first row, Wacky Stars.  The second row is applique mountains – fabric here and ready to go – picture to follow when they’re all together. 012
008 The same LQS has a monthly Cake Therapy class – these are some of the fabrics used in the class last week.  I’m going to use them to make some blocks for a challenge – completed blocks will be forwarded to a local guild to make into charity quilts.

And just in case I run out of things to do – these fabrics and book were a gift from my sister-in-law (also a quilter)
009 010

Have a good week, everyone.

3 comments:

  1. Just realized you have a sister that blogs. I visited her today. She writes really well too. Sounds like something I would do with leaving the pot on the stove. Gotta laugh since no fire, just a lot of noise. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peg, Thanks for stopping by my blog. I will do quilts for others as soon as I feel I have enough experience under my belt. I want to build my confidence more before I start on customer quilts. Right now I am working on my own, then I will do some for family and hopefully by summer I will be ready. Thanks so much for asking! I will post it on my blog when I am ready or brave enough to quilt for others ;)
    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cake therapy!? Sounds very healing to me! LOL How do I get a week home alone?

    ReplyDelete