A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Quilting along the Oregon Coast

On our recent trip to the Oregon Coast, my sister-in-law and I looked out for quilt shops.  She had a list of shops along the coast, but mostly it was a matter of just stumbling across them when we were exploring.  The guys, of course, weren’t terribly interested, and usually took the opportunity to have a little nap while waiting for us to satisfy our obsession.

Homespun Quilts in Astoria was our first stop, but unfortunately it was closed, apparently due to a family medical appointment.  One glance in the window, and we wished we had another day to be able to come back.

But then, just a couple of blocks away, we found Custom Threads.  No web-site or blog to share with you – but a charming little store that also catered to the yarn crafters out there.

In Newport, we found Quilter’s Cove    

They said it was a 60 degree ruler, but when I looked closer at it later, I realized it’s not.  So I’m not sure it’s going to do what I thought it would, but the price was good.

We visited Ruth’s Family Fabrics in Waldport – more than just a quilting store, they supply general sewers as well.

In Florence is where I made my only purchases, having resisted to that point.  At Joy of Quilting I found this ruler:

006

They said it was a 60 degree ruler, but when I looked closer at it later, I realized it’s not.  So I’m not sure it’s going to do what I thought it would, but the price was good. 

Adjacent to Joy of Quilting is Gi-Gi Mo’s Quilt Gallery (there’s a link on the Joy of Quilting Home Page) – oh, my, the beautiful quilts there – the inspiration, the challenge – I wanted to rush right home and start creating, not that I have the ability of those quilters.

At Wenz-Daze Quilter’s Emporium, we found a fascinating 2-story building with displays of antique sewing machines.

Here I found the perfect final fabric for a table-topper I have in mind (sorry the pic is so fuzzy):

DSCN0665

And I actually got started on this table topper last night – pics coming soon.

We had hoped to find a Jo-Ann Fabric store somewhere along the line, but didn’t see any.

Another hope was that we’d be able to spend some time at Fabric Depot in Portland, but just getting through that city was its own nightmare, without asking the guys to try to find a quilt shop with trailers in tow.  A brochure we picked up along the way gave us some history of the store – most fascinating to me is the fact that these folks, Tony and Marie Bosboom, were the original owners of Fabricland, which is in Canada as well.  I think there’s another trip to the US in my future to try to get to both of these stores.

Peg

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have such a huge choice of quilting shops...we certainly dont have that here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post and all the shop links, I will work my way through them. Looks like you had a great time and lovely to have your sister in law to share your time with...while the husbands napped, thats what my husband does alongside listening to the cricket!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Peg-in-Agassiz! I visit your town regularly when I work on the mainland!
    Last summer The Great Dane and I visited both quilt shops in Astoria. I'm not a quilter, but found the needlepoint Christmas stocking I was seeking in one of the shops - can't remember which one. It was delightfully full and had that wonderful 'fabric' smell to it!

    ReplyDelete