A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Memories

A few days ago, Karen over at Sew Many Ways shared a recipe that looked so yummy, I just had to make it.  So this morning, I got up before the heat (not before the sun – that’s just waaayyy too early!) - to put a panful of cupcakes in the oven.  There were in the oven before I thought to take a picture:
001
Karen’s recipe suggested using a Devil’s Food cake mix, but I didn’t have one on hand, so I pulled out an old favorite that I haven’t made in a long, long time.  It’s called Wacky Cake, and as I mixed it, I was flooded with memories  of Maisie.
Maisie and Frank lived next to us in a duplex when we were newly-weds.  In those days, I was young enough to think that this couple was ancient – now here I am, their age.  Maisie was always friendly, helpful, generous, ready to try to help make the life of a new bride easier, and I treasure the small bits of advice and the recipes that she shared with me.  One of my most vivid memories, is of coming out of the house one morning and meeting Maisie, who announced, ‘We heard you laughing and giggling last night,’ with a knowing gleam in her eye.  I was still young enough then to want to crawl away into a hole and hide at the thought that our private life could be so easily overheard!!  Now,  it just makes me giggle all over again.  I’m sorry I don’t have a picture of Maisie to share with you.
Anyway – the recipe – this cake is called Wacky for a reason – no eggs or milk, but instead vinegar and warm water:
1 1/2 Cups flour                 1 Cup sugar                 1 tsp baking powder   1 tsp baking soday            1/2 tsp salt                 4 Tbsp cocoa               Sift this all together
Add:  1 tsp vanilla             1 Tbsp vinegar            5 Tbsp oil                      1 Cup warm water
Mix and pour into cake pan or cupcake papers, and bake at 350 (30 minutes for a cake, 20-25 minutes for cupcakes).
Here’s the result:
005
I thought this would be a perfect addition to the goodies for our family weekend, where I’m sure we’ll be sharing memories and making new ones.

Just a quick update re quilting – went to the LQS for the new monthly class ‘Tool of the Month’.  This class is a tutorial on the techniques and tools used to create a specific quilt.  Last night it was Bali Breezes by Marty and Me, using a large triangle ruler with the corners cut to define the 1/4 inch seam allowance  (sorry didn’t think to take my camera as I rushed out the door, and supplies hadn’t arrived so I had to put in my order).  We did get the pattern just for attending the class:004
While there, I picked up background fabric for these little charms that I had cut out:
002003
They will eventually become a table runner, from this pattern from Moda Bake Shop.
So we’re leaving today, will try to catch up with you all if there’s time, but it will be a whirlwind week!
Happy summer, happy memories.
Blessings, Peg

4 comments:

  1. Had to change my blog Queenmothermamaw to http://dayofthelily.blogspot.com. Just wanted you to know who lily is. LOL
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm...your cupcakes look yummy! I just love old "wacky" recipes...they always turn out so good! I loved your story about Maisie...how fortunate to have had such a wonderful person in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, those look delicious. Now I have a hankering to bake cupcakes. Thanks, Sis! My waistline now officially dislikes you! LOL

    ReplyDelete