A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Learning, Always Learning - and Sharing (aka Giveaway)

I love to learn new things – new crafts, new quilting techniques, new how-to’s around the house, new tips for life’s relationships, new words.
Here’s a few new things I learned on our recent trip to Oregon:
1.  Lewis and Clark took 1 1/2 years to travel the 4000 miles across the country to reach the Pacific Ocean on their exploratory journey May 1804 to November 1805: 16.Lewis and Clark

2. Lighthouses often have their own unique patterns so that they could be identified by the sailors, and they’d know where they were.  Like the lighthouse at Cape Meares, that has alternating clear and red panels, eight of them, and does a full rotation once every four minutes.
51

3. The commander at Fort Worden (near Port Townsend, WA), in the early 1900’s, was responsible for four other military posts as well – it’s no wonder they required such a large headquarters building.
05.Fort headquarters

4. The mouth of the Columbia River, at Astoria, OR,  has some of the most treacherous waters on the coast, and special river pilots are trained to actually steer the cargo ships and cruise ships into the harbor.  We watched one boarding:14 

5. The Astoria Column was erected to commemorate the triumphs, conflicts and turning points of the frontier, but we also discovered that it was placed at the point of the first cable television satellite.
01.Astoria column

6. And Fabric Depot was opened by Tony and Marie Bosboom, after they ‘retired’ and sold Fabricland.  We didn’t have time to stop there on this trip – but really would like to get there some day – from all accounts it’s one of the best places for quilting shopping in the Pacific Northwest!

And most recently, at home here I learned what an ‘interface’ fire is.
image
This slide is one of several we’ve put together for the booth the local Emergency Social Services team will have at our Fall Fair in September.  We’ve been hearing the phrase ‘Interface Fire’ on the news lately, and then these slides were included in the Power Point presentation, so I Googled it.  Some of you are probably a lot more savvy (a word that somebody just recently asked me about – and I actually knew the answer)  than I am, but just in case it’s new to you:   An Interface Fire is one that is on or near the border between wild land and developed land, putting the other area at risk.

In the quilting world, I’ve been working on a Joan’s Own quilt, Homespun Harmony:
085 The appliqué is done with satin stitch.  The last sashing between the two ‘sides’ will go in today, then a few more leaves to appliqué, borders and it’s ready to quilt.  What I’ve learned during this process – much easier to do the satin stitching when the pieces are backed with some interfacing, prevents puckering. especially on larger pieces.  That is not suggested by Joan in her instructions, but a good tip I think for anybody tackling this kind of project.


But what I’d like to learn today is:  what is a meme?  This word keeps cropping up in blogs, just recently my sister used it in hers.  I’ve tried to discover its meaning, through reading it in context, through an internet dictionary search, asked a couple of people, but somehow the explanation goes over my head.  It just doesn’t make sense to me. 
So my request is – can anybody explain ‘meme’ to me so that I understand it?  To a follower who helps me get it clear in my head, there will be a give-away.  To answer, become a follower and post a comment – if you’re already a follower, just let me know.  I’ll draw on August 27.                  But what will you win?                    In light of the ‘learning’ aspect of this post – I’m looking for a quilter’s dictionary (if you’re not a quilter, I’ll find another kind of dictionary, maybe a Scrabble or Crossword dictionary to help you win at something else).  I’ll also give a quilter a new pattern and some fat quarters.  A non-quilter – I’ll make you a table topper from a new pattern that I have, just let me know what your decor colors are.  
Happy learning                        Blessings, Peg

7 comments:

  1. Well I'd love to help but I've never heard the word before - except in French of course as in "la meme chose" = the same thing. The first e would have a hat on and I'm not sure I've spelt "chose" correctly. So I guess this isn't the word you're looking for....

    Interesting facts from your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this informative post and such great photos, looks like you had a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From my understanding a Me Me is when you are challenged to write a set number of things about yourself. I've done a few and they are quite fun. There was a phase a few months ago around blogland to challenge people to write, for example, 10 things that readers didn't know about them. Or 10 books you hadn't read but wished you did, that sort of thing. Sometimes they can be quite soul searching and sometimes a bit of fun.

    Love and hugs Gina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a follower!

    The memes that I have seen are like awards. Someone gets it from someone else and bestows it upon you and in blogland it comes with a cute little button, usually, that you can display on your blog and then bestow on a certain number of other bloggers.

    I have no idea why it's called a meme. It always struck me as a bit strange! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Memes are about ME ME ME. LOL It is something you tell others about yourself - either a set of questions - or form to fill out - or sometimes just a subject that write about pertaining to yourself.

    I love them, have done a few, but not recently. It is such fun to learn about others and what they think/do in their lives that might be so much like what you do - or so different - but so interesting.

    I am a follower - have been for a while now and love coming here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A meme is used to describe an idea that spreads quickly over the Internet, according to Google. I haven't come across it yet. I always learn something on your posts. Sounds like a great giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I have heard of that fabric shop. Would love to check it out for myself!

    ReplyDelete