A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Stepping Outside My Comfort Zone

Yesterday I posted a picture of the Thread Catcher I made.  Lisa Marie asked where I found the tutorial.  Well, I thought that I got it from another blogger, but searching didn’t yield that blog, and nothing on the pages revealed the source.  I thought of copying the directions, but I had found some of them a little vague (or maybe just assuming I knew what I was doing), and didn’t want to pass that on to anybody else.  Thus the decision to do this:

Thread Catcher Tutorial                  I hope I’m not stepping on anybody’s toes, or breaking a copyright somewhere.  There are some changes in mine after making the first one.

041
Materials:
  • Outer bag – 2 pieces 9 1/2” x 9 1/2”  (these 2 pieces do not need to be the same – selvedges sewn onto a foundation fabric was used for the front in the tutorial I had.  What about using a  favorite quilt block of these dimensions?  Or just pick some fun fabrics)
  • Lining – 2 pieces 9 1/2” x 9 1/2”
  • Strap – 1 piece 2 1/2” x 10”
  • Trim – 1 piece – 6 1/2” x 6 1/2 "
  • Interfacing – 2 pieces 3” x 9 1/2 “
004
Instructions:
1. Prepare the outer bag pieces as desired.  Cut lining pieces.005
2.  Attach interfacing to the wrong side of the top edges of the outer bag pieces.   I used spray glue to attach mine – if you have iron-on, all the better.006
3.  If you want a trim on front of the bag, press under 1/4” on a long side of the 3x91/2” piece007 Pin the trim to the right side of the top edge of the front piece for the outer bag009  And top stitch along the folded edge008
4.   Put outer bag pieces right sides together, and sew along the sides and bottom010 5.  Prepare the strap – fold it in half, short sides matching, right sides together, and sew along the short side – turn it inside out and press so the seam is in the center012 6.  Attach the strap to the right side of one of the lining pieces, raw edges even, strap seam up014 Put the lining pieces right sides together and sew the sides and about 2 1/2 “ into the bottom from each side (leaving a gap in the bottom edge).  Press the seams open.015 7. Pull a bottom corner of the lining to form a point with the side and bottom seams aligned016
Mark a sewing line 1 3/4 " in from the point, perpendicular to the seam017 Sew along the line to create a box corner018 Repeat for the other corner of the lining and both corners of the outer bag019 8. Turn the lining right side out, and slip inside the outer bag, matching raw edges and seams.  Be sure the strap is inside, flat against the back of the lining bag.020 Sew along the top edge021 9. Pull the lining out, press the seam line022 Tuck the outer bag inside the lining and pull through the opening in the bottom of the lining bag023
024 Press the seam line again, then sew the bottom opening of the lining bag closed.  I sewed on the machine – you may prefer to whipstitch.025
026
10.  Your bag should now look like this:028
Top-stitch around the top of the bag030
11.  Now for the pinchushion – center the 61/2" square piece right side to the top of the strap, with the strap and front of the bag facing up031 Sew in place  032Fold the strap in half wrong side out, so the raw edges meet at the front of the strap034 Sew along both sides and at the bottom to the edge of the strap035 Clip the seam beside the strap to the sewing line on both sides of the strap – clip the corners036 And turn the pin cushion right side out – press the seams, and the open edge (turned under 1/4" straight along the sewing line where the pin cushion is attached to the strap)
037 Finishing the pin cushion is your choice.  I like the flange look so I top-stitched around all of the closed edges.038
12.  Stuff the pincushion, using something that will give it some weight.  I used dried navy beans, and some poly-fil039 Close the opening of the pin-cushion – because I like the flange look I sewed on the machine, but you may choose to use a slip-stitch or a blind stitch.  To be honest – it wasn’t easy sewing and keeping those beans out of the way!!040 The finished product:041
To prevent slipping, it’s suggested that a piece of rubber non-slip drawer liner may help.
I hope you enjoy – and again, I’m not meaning to infringe on any copyright, or to step on any toes, just want to let others know how I made the thread catcher.
Blessings, Peg

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial. I've been wanting to make one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for doing this Peg!! WOW! Now I have another project on my "to-do" list
    Hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial

    Love and hugs Gina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial!
    I've got one on my blog too...?...somewhere from when I first was blogging.... 8-)
    Happy stitchings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial, Peg. You did a good job on this and I plan on making one very soon...Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete