A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Book Club

I love books – and have been an avid reader ever since I can remember.  I recall:

  • getting up early morning, before anybody else was stirring, parking myself in front of a heat register, and reading in the peace and quiet
  • going to bed early so I could get in some reading time before my sister announced it was time for lights out – interesting that now she reads even more than I do, and is a librarian!
  • 3-4 books at one time on my nightstand, all bookmarked – not sure now how I kept them all straight
  • regular trips to the mobile library, and our mother taking us to the ‘big’ library when she could
  • Nancy Drew,
  • Freddy the Pig, Queen Elizabeth I, Trixie Belden, the Bobbsey Twins, Charlotte, Heidi….anybody and anything to while away the hours
  • our mother saying ‘didn’t you hear me calling you?’ – and I really didn’t, so engrossed was I in my book

I married a reader, and we’ve often over the years shared some reading interests, although he leans more toward Louis Lamour and Lord of the Rings.

We read to our children, listened to our children read to us, took them to the local library – and raised readers, each with amazingly and vastly different interests.

When I make a trip to the library, I find it difficult to decide which books to take home, and more often than not my eyes are bigger than my reading time.  Now, with the internet, I can select the books I want to read, request them, wait for the notification that they’ve arrived, and just go over and pick them up.  Sometimes I’m surprised by the arrival of several all at once, and then have to set aside everything else to get them all read on time!  But generally this keeps me in sufficient books to keep me going.

Over the years, I’ve heard of book clubs – they seem to be everywhere – but somehow I never connected to one – until this week.  Our local library announced a book club, meeting at the library.

 

So I signed up – got the notice that the first book was in – hied myself over to the library to pick it up – and now wonder: What have I got myself into!

On the day that I picked up the book club selection, some requests had arrived for me – 2 audio books, and one other rather short autobiography.  While I was waiting to be served, I spotted a book on the shelf that I wanted to read – Alan Bradbury’s third book – so had to pick that one up of course!  In the meantime, we’d made a trip to Chapters, to spend the gift certificate we had received for Christmas – more books to read – although no time limits on these, so they are set aside for the future, when the library requests are on back order.

Then they handed me the Book Club selection – Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.

 

Oh, my goodness, it’s a tome!  Must be 1000 pages, historical novel (I really do enjoy history), only 28 days in which to read it.  With other library books already at home to finish up – I really am wondering how I’m going to do this.

But my Book Club adventure has started – I really am looking forward to sharing and discussing with other readers – just hope they aren’t too intellectual for me!!

Happy reading!            Blessings, Peg

5 comments:

  1. I also love to read and have a number of books on the go at the same time. I now love to read to my grandchildren and they too love books

    ReplyDelete
  2. How marvellous to have a book club....no such thing here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am an avid reader and have never been in a book club. You'll have to let us know how you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book club sounds like fun .. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah... so many books, so little time. I too have a bunch of books on the night stand and three or four on the go at a time. Still trying to perfect reading and knitting at the same time to increase both! LOL

    ReplyDelete