A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Spring is in the Air

We’ve had some lovely spring weather here, which has been great for pulling out of the winter doldrums.  Yesterday, we enjoyed a walk around the lake at the nearby resort town:033.Harrison

Then we split a banana split at Dairy Queen:

Oooh, that was yummy!  They’ve advertised half-price Royal treats for the month of March – so if you’re in the mood, hurry on down and treat yourself – there’s only a few days left!

I noticed there a sign that outlined the history of DQ, and did a little more research.  Did you know:

  • a father and son developed the soft ice cream in 1938 in Green River, Illinois, selling their new treat for 10 cents
  • the first DQ store opened its doors in 1940 in Joliet, Illinois
  • DQ came to Canada in 1953 in Estevan, Saskatchewan
  • burgers and hot foods were served in some locations as early as 1957 – but my memories of DQ were only ice cream,and only open in the summer months, until sometime in the 70s, so DQ opening used to be a sign of spring in the air

The real sign of spring in the air – I got outside and did a little yard work, including getting some primula into a pot – a little spot of color amid the evergreens:

002

 

And today – our local show garden opens its gates, another sure sign of spring in the air.  It’s raining, and there’s not much sign yet of tulips and daffodils, so we’ll probably wait a bit before we head over there for a walk. 

But the days are getting longer, and warmer.

Happy spring!    Blessings, Peg

5 comments:

  1. Seems like a nice day out! We ont have dairy Queen in the UK but my daughter lived in Canada for a while and sings its praises!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite was the DQ Peanut Buster Parfait! Those were the very best. All that ooey-gooey hot chocolate fudge, mixed with all those salty peanuts... So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lucky to have Spring arrive already. We are still under 3 feet of snow here. I am longing for a melt and to see some green!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it so beautiful here today. That lake sure looks familiar. I would guess Harrison?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, BD, before diabetes, I used to swing in and have a Pecan Mudslide. Oh that was so decadent. I will never do that again. I just have to use a little better judgment. I had set out Pansies and this AM we woke up to a covering of snow. Didn't bother them at all. The sun was out later today.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete