A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Hanging Quilts

So what do you do with all of the quilts that you’ve made – and keep?

Do they get stored away in a cupboard away from light and heat to preserve them – except when they’re being used, of course?

Or do you hang them around your house, to that everybody gets to see them?

In our house, quilts are displayed varying ways – the ones being used are, of course in their rightful place on the bed, or the table, or the wall. 

Wall hangings can be easy to display – with a rod through the sleeve (or tabs) and some nice cord – and everybody can enjoy them.

I have a couple small ones that are just tacked to the wall in my sewing room:016

 

A larger wall-hanging required a long rod, but I persuaded Grizz to put together a ‘hanger’ like one I’d seen at a sewing show a few years ago:80.Rack

79.Homespun Harmony

 

This was the model he used to make these:

100_0202

 

100_0200

100_0201

 

A few years back, we found some beautiful black willow limbs, that Grizz cleaned up and we attached some cording and hung them on the wall – for a place to put bed-size quilts when not in use:015

But I have a number of small table mats, and closet storage can be at a premium, to say nothing of having to fold them and the creases that ensue when they’re piled up.  So a few years ago Grizz made me a couple of these racks:011

 

Then there was a small space beside the china cabinet in the dining room – and we made use of that with some wall hangers:014

012

 

When my friend Gail saw these, she wanted something similar to hang her large quilts on a wall in her great room – and Grizz came up with this design:006

Instead of the rod sitting on a bracket, the rods here go through the bracket on each end, and there’s more space between the rod and the wall, so large quilts will fit easier.

Happy displaying!          Blessings, Peg

3 comments:

  1. Great ideas - I live the multiple hangers - and the limb hanger. I have a standing quilt rack, one wall rack and the rest of my quilts are on the beds or folded on the treadle sewing machine. I refold them and rotate the pile every 2 or 3 months to keep creases from forming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of great ideas for hanging wall-quilts there Peg! Thanks! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you die, your children can open Peg's Museum of Quilting! They'll make a killing. I just pin my socks to the wall. Or wear 'em!

    ReplyDelete