A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Oh, now I get it!

Thanks so much to everyone who answered my question yesterday – what is it with word verification?

Bottom line – this is apparently meant to stop computers from entering spam responses in a web-site, any web-site.  Here’s the response that explained it best (thanks Thea):

‘Okay, these things are called captchas. it's to make sure that only humans are responding to you. captcha stands for "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart"’

So far I’ve been lucky – not too many anonymous comments, and only one that was a little snarky, which I just deleted and chose to ignore.  There’ve been a few comments that have come from web-sites of businesses (BTW, I read all comments and check the source if it’s not familiar to me) – I assume that these folks are just surfing through blogs and making standard comments to try to get business.  Those ones I also ignore, and delete.

So far, for me, monitoring comments has worked – and because I find word verification so annoying, I’ve chosen to leave it turned off on my site.  That’s no guarantee that it will continue to work for me, but for now, I’ll just leave it the way it is…………..And happily fill out the word verification on all the sites where I leave a comment, so you all out there know that I really am a human being.

Happy humanness!      And by the way

Blessings, Peg

2 comments:

  1. For some reason I did know that. I don't remember where I read it but it makes sense also it makes it less aggravating to have to do it. Hope you folks are seeing some sunshine up there. We had frost this morning.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good decision.. and if you start getting lots of computers responding you'll know what to do :).

    ReplyDelete