A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wednesday’s Words

Can anybody explain?

It’s Wednesday and I try to share some words with all of you – but today I’m asking a question, and hoping your words back to me will help me understand.

The little thing that I’ve been wondering about lately is that little pop-up box that appears and demands you enter a series of letters (that make no sense whatsoever) to verify your comment before it can be published.

Most of the time it looks like this:

What I’m wondering is:

  • what is the purpose?
  • what does it verify?
  • how does it make a difference?

 

Some time ago, I discovered a setting that allows me to review all comments – on my blogs - before they’re published.  And these comments appear in my email as well, so I can respond directly to the commenter.  I see other bloggers with that same setting, including some who also have word verification.

So my next questions:

  • Are both necessary?
  • Is having both some kind of extra protection against something that has totally gone over my head?

Can you help?

Happy answers!              Blessings, Peg

10 comments:

  1. As far as I know....
    It makes sure that you are not a computer program who does it, since most virus and such are hidden in some of the them posts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't help you, Sis. I would imagine that some programmer, to whom it makes perfect sense, thought it was a great idea and probably made a bit of money from it. I think it is supposed to increase security, but how that happens, is a geek mystery far, far beyond us normal people's ability to comprehend. It would probably hurt our brains to hear the explanation. Best,I think, to accept them as the strange and mostly harmless widgets that they are and carry on to other things. But when next I see the library IT guy, I'll ask him about them. Sometimes he can put it in layman's terms that won't hurt my brain. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to respond before, but the computer wouldn't let me .. hmmm. these things are called captchas "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart" (I had to look that up). They make sure that people and not computers are responding to you. I don't know if both things are necessary, but I don't mind typing in the words if it prevents you from getting spam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. That this is a captia. The main purpose is to make sure that there is a real person posting the comment and not a spam-bot. I had mine turned off for a while (i.e., people replying to my post could post without putting it in) and did get some spam comments. As owner of the blog, I could easily delete them. However, they were becoming more and more common so I ended up turning the captia back on.

    My guess is that you could try turning off the captia (especially if you are viewing the comments before they are published). If you start getting too many spam emails, you can always turn it back on.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe it is supposed to stop 'robot ' comments, ie advertising or viruses etc. But I'm like you, I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  6. from my understanding it helps with eliminating spammers; to ensure that the response is not generated by a computer, but rather a person
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTCHA see this link for a better explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find them annoying - they are said to keep spammers out by annoying them enough to make them stop - but I have seen spammers that didn't care if they had to enter letters. There are different forms of these letters that have to be entered - all of them annoy me. Just my 2 cents worth.

    I used to have my comments moderated and found that annoying to me - so I stopped it - but I do have them sent to my email so if there is an offensive one (I've only had three in about four years) I can go immediately to my blog and delete the comment I don't want there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for asking the questions. I've learned something today too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been blogging for a couple of years and have two blogs. I get an email when someone comments and this is enough for me. I delete any and all spam or people who are just adding in a crap comment to get people to their business sites.
    I have almost no problem with spammers or nasty people and probably haven't had more than 5 total in two years on 2 blogs.
    I don't moderate them because much of the good comment content you get is when someone refers back to another commenter on the blog. If I haven't moderated them yet they are not there and that ruins the flow of the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the post-the comments are most informative. I am posting a funny one about this subject today and will be linking to this post of yours. Have a great day! Ann at http://housefinally.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete