A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wednesday’s Words

Words – I love words!  And I often ponder the meaning and origin of words.  I wonder how people come up with a word when something new comes along, especially in our world today with technology speeding us forward at a rate faster than sound.

A few years ago, I learned a word that by definition means ‘a word that imitates or suggests the source of the sound that it describes’.     Onomatopoeia  Just try saying it!  But the words that are (this) are easy – like:

Whoosh!                  Burp!               Ahem (have I got your attention yet)

Chirp!              Moo!               Purr!                   Ruff!

Twang!              Thud!

Can’t you just hear those sounds?  Wish I could play them here for you!

 

This word came into my mind the other morning:

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Do you remember Julie Andrews and Dick van Dyke singing this song in the movie Mary Poppins?

Here’s a video clip – enjoy (and just see if you can get that word out of your head for the rest of the day)  LOL

Happy words!                 Blessings, Peg

1 comment:

  1. Mary Poppins was the first movie I ever saw in a theatre (at least that I can remember!). It's still one of my favourites! Thanks for reminding me of this happy childhood moment!

    ReplyDelete