A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

What a Great Day

The sun found its way through the clouds this morning, and we headed west to ever bluer skies.

Anacortes is a lovely, charming, historic town – well, city probably technically, but we wandered through the shops in the historic area, which feels like a ‘town’. 

Murals on the sides of many of the buildings lent to the historic ambience, many of them with names attached of apparent former residents:

052053055059062063

I’m not sure how well this comes through in these pictures, but most of these are in relief, almost 3D.

The garbage cans have their own character:056

057

Old buildings have been well maintained:064

Metallic sculptures lend more character:060 065

Causland Memorial Park (in memory of war veterans) has some very unique rock work

073066070071

Interestingly this park was designed and built by a French-Canadian.

After Anacortes, we enjoyed a lovely drive out to Deception Pass State Park – the old growth trees promise much shade in the summer heat, and the beaches look like they’d yield some great rock and sea-shell finds – but today was just a little too chilly still to entice into a walk.

On the way back to the campground, we stopped at a gas station – and  found this mural:

075

All in all, a wonderful day of exploring.

Happy discoveries!    Blessings, Peg

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful day - so glad you found the park - isn't that just amazing?!? We love Anacortes and would live there if it wasn't so far from the grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks like you had a fabulous day! you found the sun, and you got to explore Anacortes - I love going down there for a break. I've not managed to make it to the quilt museum in LaConner, but it is definitely on my list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer? Heat? What's that? LOL I love the rock work and the garbage cans. Too cool. Though I have to wonder at the theme... Salmon on a garbage can? Because they both smell horrible? (Makes sense to me!) I assume that there is a cannery there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Murals Peg! Very interesting photos from your day out!! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did indeed enjoy that tour with you. Some awesome ideas. I like the trash cans. Happy Nurses' day to you dear one. Which ever that day is. I have seen a couple of different dates.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete