A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life


I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Canadian History

After a relatively short drive, and reporting duly to the customs officer at the border, we arrived in the Cranbrook area of south-eastern BC.  We got settled in, ran into Cranbrook to do some errands, popped into the local Alliance church to look up an old friend and then drove up to Kimberley.  Grizz and I have been here a few times, but our friends hadn’t so we wanted to show them this lovely little mountain town.  Unfortunately I didn’t think to take the camera along, but it is thoroughly charming.
Today, we got a little later start and spent a leisurely time at Fort Steele – home of the North West Mounted Police in the late 1880’s, and just chock full of history.
 486.Ft. Steele
From a plaque in the gallery:
In 1886 a Kootenay Indian name Kapula and a partner were jailed at Wild Horse on suspicion of murdering two white miners almost two years before.  Believing them innocent, Chief Isadore forcibly released the men from jail, ordering the local authorities to leave the district and not to return.  Chief Isadore was also hostile to settlers of lands in the area, which had long been used by the Indians.  Prospectors and settlers were disturbed that the Indians were taking the law into their own hands, so requested governmental assistance to stave off potential trouble.
Superintendent ‘Sam’ Steele with 75 non-commisioned officers and men of ‘D’ division arrived at Galbraith’s Ferry to establish on August 1, 1887, the first NorthWest Mounted Police post west of the Rockies.  Upon careful investigation, Steele could find no evidence to hold Kapula and partner, so dismissed the charges.  Moreover, with tact and fairness,   he was able to satisfy the Indians concerning their land problems.  Friendly relations were restored, enabling the force to return to Fort Macleod in August 1888.

I hope you enjoy these pics of our stroll through this wonderful national historic site.
Officer’s quarters:
In contrast with constables’ quarters:
The Clydesdale’s were friendly:
524.Courthouse and gaol
Stage office:
514.Stage office
Blacksmith at work:
Drygoods store:
Bolts of fabric – surely a quilter’s dream:
537.Dressmaker at work
Print shop:
One of three churches:
556.Catholic church
More pics in my next post.


  1. Love Fort Steele. Last time we were there the kids got to make ice cream, the old fashion way!!!!

  2. Love the officer's quarters. Especially the bedroom .. lovely quilt.

  3. Going to have to go there some day. What a lovely site.