A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

It was a Battle

The first battle I’ll tell you about is the one I’ve just had with Live Writer.  For some reason one of my posts didn’t want to publish.  No reason apparent to me.  So I decided to try publishing a different post – it worked – went back to the first one and it published then too.  The only problem with all of that is that now Yellowstone Part I is published after Yellowstone Part II.  So….sorry for any confusion, not sure what else I could do.
The other battle is one that was fought more than 125 years ago – the Battle of Little Bighorn.  On our drive from Yellowstone to Mt. Rushmore, we stopped at the memorial for this most famous of battles.  As we walked through the grounds, looked at the gravestones, read the signs, listened to the guide, watched the video….huge feelings of sorrow and anger washed over me.  Both factions only wanted to preserve their own lifestyle and traditions, but the loss of life, the utter un-necessity, the absolute arrogance displayed in thinking that the other person should change his ways just felt so WRONG.
But, enough of my soap-box – the memorial itself is tasteful and tactful in presenting the facts and the history.  I certainly appreciated the setting and the commemoration of all involved in this most significant moment of history.  I hope you enjoy these pictures.
The memorial atop the hill where Custer and his immediate unit fell is the site where the soldiers, scouts and civilians are buried.  Along the hillside immediately beneath it, and throughout the grounds, markers indicate the spots where bodies were located after the battle:267.Little Bighorn Memorial
273
Custer and other officers are buried in cemeteries throughout the country.
This picture is of a typical marker:285.Closeup of marker
There is a memorial to the natives:281.Indian memorial
283
And even the horses, certainly a significant part of life of that era, are also recognized:
276.Horse memorial
I’m glad we took the time to visit this memorial, and learn a little more about the development and growth of the United States.

Besides the memorial, a significant section of the grounds has been dedicated to a national cemetery, where military personnel from all wars fought,  through the Korean War, are buried:
291
These two plaques express the solemn honor of the fallen soldier:
288287
As much as I abhor the thought of war, and rebel at the idea of supremacy over another people, I am still appreciative and humbly thankful for those who fought to preserve the freedom and peace that we enjoy in North America, and many other countries around the world today.
May God richly bless all who serve our countries.
Blessings, Peg

No comments:

Post a Comment