A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Remembrance

This was sent to me in an e-mail a few days ago from my sister:

The co-founder of the School of Nursing at the University of Victoria — Sister Kathleen Cyr — spent close to six decades committed to caring for others whether at hospital bedsides or in senior leadership positions. Service to God and the community were ...read more...

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful woman.

Sister Cyr was the psychiatric nursing instructor in my days as a nursing student.   Warm, kind, understanding – knowledgeable, interesting – devoted, passionate about her chosen field - she led us through the basics of psychiatric nursing and then guided us as we practiced skills in giving nursing care to our patients.  She also led us through our own group therapy sessions…this part I really didn’t like…too many tears!  But Sister Cyr never pushed, never made us stay – she just seemed to understand.

We had to go to a different hospital for our practical experience, and were provided with bus passes….but we thought the passes could be better used for shopping sprees and sight-seeing outings – until the day Sister Cyr picked us up as she was on her way to meet us!   Thoroughly chastised, we still didn’t feel degraded in any way – did I say she was understanding and kind!

Our psych experience was but two brief months out of three years, but Sister Cyr left an indelible impression – on me anyway.

I’m sad to hear of her passing, but so honored that I knew her once, and so happy to hear of her accomplishments as a nurse, an instructor, a leader in nursing education.

God bless all dedicated to serving in their community.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds like a marvelous woman. Do you think that the bus-pass episode was an annual thing with the nursing students? She probably had her speech to you down pat! Ah, the follies of youth. LOL (Did you at least get some shopping in?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful memories of a special lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to have had such a wonderful woman in your life as a student...doesn't always happen. And obviously you and others were blessed by that experience. She was clearly a person led by the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful nun/teacher to be around, and a great experience in your life! A cherished memory. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Peg,

    I am an Administrative Assistant in the School of Nursing at the University of Victoria. I am writing a small piece about Sister Cyr for our quarterly research publication the Communique and in my research, I stumbled across your post. I loved your anecdote about Sister Cyr. If you would be willing to let me share it in my piece please contact me at ehannah@uvic.ca

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete