A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Blogger Quilt Festival

This year I’ve decided to enter a quilt festival for the first time – a blogger festival!  Amy hosts this festival twice a year and it’s fabulous!  Great inspiration and wonderful new friends to meet!

Go on over to take a look at all the quilts – the festival runs this week – but wait until after you’ve looked at the quilt that I’m entering  LOL!

This quilt was made for our DD’s wedding – the basic pattern was Blue Posies chosen from Carol Doak’s book Easy Stash Quilts.  I have to admit that I didn’t make the quilt all by myself.  The groom’s godmother, Hermie and mother, Maureen Goldsmith (accredited Canadian quilt designer and teacher) were my partners.  Having Maureen to help with making the design unique and perfectly suited to the bride and groom was wonderful!

This first picture is the front of the quilt – the center is as the original design intended ….. and then we added the borders.  Colors were chosen to reflect the favorites of the bride and groom, the colors for the wedding, and the fact that the wedding was held on the sea side in the Dominican Republic.  The wide, light-colored border is hand-embroidered with various words and phrases supplied by the bride and groom to personalize the quilt:QuiltfrontI

 

This second picture is the  back of the quilt – we took squares of fabric with us to the wedding and had everybody there, and then family members at home as well, sign blocks, which we assembled to make a ‘greeting card’. 

Quilt backI

You’ll notice that the top right and bottom left ‘fill-in’ squares made ‘hearts’!  That was just the way it worked out, not an actual plan at all!

We presented the finished quilt to the happy couple at the reception held at home, about 5 months after the wedding itself!

89

 

This was a great project, and one that we are all very proud of.  I especially like the fact that it was a joint project, bringing both sides of the new family together in a wonderfully creative way!

Happy festival!                Blessings, Peg

29 comments:

  1. Peg, what an amazing quilt and a lovely story. i really love the colours you chose! So fresh. And the writing doesn't overwhelm the overall design; fantastic! Greetings from faraway Cyprus from a fellow Canadian! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wonderful quilt Peg! Love the colors/pattern! Very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the backing you designed to go with the quilt. The hearts are perfect. Weddings and Quilts a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...I wish someone had made ME a wedding quilt. This makes me smile!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty quilt! Love the cool colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful quilt! Love the colours and the gorgeous stars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice work thanks for the quilt for division.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very refreshing quilt that stimulates the mind. Great use of color and lighting. Love it.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great quilt! I love that you had people sign the quilt. What a wonderful start to a new life together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beautiful quilt. The colours are gorgeous and the design is stunning. It is great that it was a combined effort and will give the happy couple so many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peg this is absolutely marvelous. What a wonderful idea. I was working at the Nazareth Campus Visitors Friday and there was a group of quilters there on retreat. They were all set up with their machines and design walls and I felt right at home just because of all the opportunities I have had through your blog to understand some of the terminology. I did not want to interfere so I did not take any pictures, but boy I sure wanted to. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful quilt and so special. Having the blocks signed will be great memories and fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is stunning, love the front and the back. The colors are fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty! Love the embroidered borders.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely quilt--and so fun for newlyweds to have something so traditional to start their life together. I'm sure it's a treasure for them!

    Elizabeth E!
    http://occasionalpiece.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. really lovely quilt - beautifully done - front and back!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Having finished a wedding quilt for friends this year, I am so happy to se more ideas for a special quilt. Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful quilt as just a quult but how absolutely wonderful with the greetings and personalization. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful and touching with the personal touches all over the quilt. Wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey! That turned out really cool. I guess I need to attend more weddings if I want to see this stuff in person.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fantastic keepsake that I am sure they will treasure always. I love the front design and the "greeting card" back is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The seaside colors are so pretty and restful. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a special treasure! Great way to really personalize a gift quilt. Kudos.
    Thanks for commenting on my miniature applique reproduction ,glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is such a fun wedding quilt!! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your quilt and am now a follower. Judith

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful quilt...thanks for sharing it and the story.

    ReplyDelete