A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Design Wall Monday

Or that’s what it should be.  I promised myself, I’d get back into my regular postings (DWM and Wednesday’s Words) now that we’re home for a stretch of time.

But I don’t have a design wall.  We took it down to paint, and now don’t want to put all the tack holes back in the wall to put the same flannel back up on the wall.  So, I’m looking for ideas for creating a design wall, preferably one that will allow me to pin larger projects up.  Any ideas, anybody?

In the mean-time, though, not much designing, or quilting going on anyway.  I have a sore shoulder that limits movement a LOT.  Hopefully will be back at it in a few days.

So…….yesterday we took the opportunity, in reasonable fall weather, to drive down to LaConner, WA to take in the quilt show.

At the Quilt and Textile Museum, there was two special displays.  One was a display of quilts using recycled material, or with a theme of recycling – but no photos were allowed of those.  The other display was of Canadian artists – quilts reflecting another art medium.  Here are a few of my favorites:

007

008

009

010

012

The juried show was at another venue, Maple Hall, but no photos were allowed.  How disappointed I was to not be able to share with you all the lovely, lovely quilts displayed there!  I actually found that restriction detracted from my enjoyment of the show.

After taking in all this eye candy, and being inspired yet again, we wandered through LaConner – such a lovely little seaside village, one of our favorite places to visit.  We lunched at the Waterfront Café, enjoying the peace along the river:016

And choosing not to eat in the brig:014

As we walked we caught glimpses of some quilts that had apparently been displayed for a Quilt Walk during the month of September – not too many still up, but this one certainly caught our eye:017

It was a lovely relaxing day – perfect excuse for avoiding cleaning the garage!

Happy quilt shows!                 Blessings, Peg

4 comments:

  1. What a nice day - we probably passed each other on the road LOL. I'm not sure I would leave my quilt sitting on the back of a car - but that sure is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos Pet! 8-)

    As for a design wall, I've heard of creating a PVC pipe frame, the size you want, and creating a flannel design sheet with velcro flaps to stretch around the pipes to keep it in place. I've also heard of useing a sheet of strong styro-foam, covered in flannel or batting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like Myra has a good idea. I can be of no help here as far as design walls are concerned. I empathize about the shoulder. Had a fall last week when a chair at the art gallery completely fell apart when I sat down and pinned my left shoulder under the arm. I have been trying to move all my paints into the house since extreme heat and cold are not good. Had to move out of my studio when our daughter moved back home. Everything ends up on my kitchen table now. Our weather is super nice here for the time being. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have so eaten in the brig! How cool is that? Anyway, I have a thought for your design wall... Get G to make you a gallery rail! Then tac your sheet to a rod and hang that from the gallery rail. Then, later, when you don't need it anymore, there is just a decorative strip on the wall. No pin holes. No fuss. (Well maybe a little fuss for G putting it up.)

    ReplyDelete