A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Wednesday’s Words

I know, I’m a day late – I kept thinking about my ‘words’ all day yesterday, but got caught up in……emptying the back of the truck, and reloading all the regular stuff (what was in the back of the truck you may ask – but I’m not telling yet); bottling wine – our first batch made at home and it’s yummy!; sewing on some Christmas gifts; book club meeting………and suddenly the day was gone.

But I do want to share some thoughts on reading.  I’ve always been a voracious reader – when younger often had 3-4 books on the go at the same time.  I guess I just couldn’t wait to get them started when I got my hands on them.  Interestingly, I can remember when I could remember which page I was on in each book, without book marks!  That’s no longer the case for sure – I can’t remember which page I’m on in a magazine I’m reading and put down for 5 minutes.

As I got a little older and family and church and community and work took up so much more of my brain-space, I could only handle one book at a time – but I read 2-3 a week quite often, certainly no less than one a week. 

Now…..one book every 2-3 weeks, and reading often puts me to sleep!   But still I read on – reading gives me so much pleasure – I can travel, meet new people, learn new things, solve a mystery……..My favorite read is a mystery, but I like historical novels as well, and Christian novels and lifestyle as well.

Book Club meeting was last night – and I hadn’t finished the book.   It’s ‘The Tenderness of Wolves’ by Stef Penney. 

My fellow club members were very gracious in not revealing the identity of the murderer during our discussion, even though I told them it mattered not.  The book:

  1. purported to be a mystery, but the mystery appears to play only a minor role 
  2. there are so many characters it’s hard to keep track of who’s who – one club member counted 63 characters
  3. lots of history, which always fascinates me – and I was glad to learn that much research went into getting the history accurate in the fiction setting
  4. wolves don’t seem to be significant in the story-line, so not sure where the title comes in

I learned some interesting facts about the author at the meeting – this is her first novel, she’s from England, a screen writer, has never been in Canada ( why she set a book here is beyond me), is agoraphobic (probably why she’s never been in Canada).

It’s an interesting read, and if you’re into Canadiana and history and a little mystery, you might want to pick it up. 

One of the reasons I didn’t finish reading this book, was that I was trying to catch up on a previous Book Club title, from a meeting I missed.  ‘The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time’ by Mark Haddon is actually one of my favorite reads this year. 

A mystery centered around an autistic 15-year-old, who discovers a dead dog in his back yard.  It’s junior fiction, but fascinating.  I really appreciated the way the author described autism through the thought processes and actions of the hero.  It’s a must-read as far as I’m concerned.  Just be aware – foul language is used frequently.

I’m thinking we need a ‘read-in’ night, just like we have a ‘sew-in’ night – and share our latest reads with each other.  What do you think?

In the mean-time, I’m going to be getting things out of the way today, so that I can join Friday Night Sew-In tomorrow and make more progress on Christmas (I hope).  Sign up here if you’re joining us!

Happy reading in the mean-time!              Blessings, Peg

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book referrals. I'm always looking for an interesting read. We have a new library about to open in Whitehorse. It sounds - from the radio coverage - like it will be pretty spectacular, but unfortunately for me it will be out of the way - ie not on my route in and out of town - so I'm not likely to visit it as often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of those are on my to-read list. But the stack on my night stand surely won't support any more tomes at the moment. I'm currently reading The Family Fang. Doubt if it would be something you would like, but I'm hooked. It's bizarre and a little goofy and somewhat profound all at once. Anyway, Read On! Dear Sister! Read on.

    ReplyDelete