A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Monday, November 28, 2011

My First Quilt

Bonnie Hunter has challenged us all to post about our first quilt and I decided to join in.  Whenever I look at my first quilt, I think of all the lessons learned.

062. Sampler - first quilt

 

I only started quilting about 10 years ago, inspired by my son’s then-MIL.  This is a sampler, made mostly from scraps of fabric that were around the house from other projects, including DD’s high school sewing classes.  The pattern is taken from Jennifer Chiaverini’s book, Elm Creek Quilts. 

What did I learn?

  1. cutting – really needed to go out and get some rulers!
  2. piecing – fairly straight forward when the lines are straight
  3. triangles – gotta watch that bias
  4. matching corners (not very many of them actually matched)
  5. applique – machine applique is so much quicker
  6. curves – still a struggle

When it came to quilting it, I was completely daunted.  In the end, I tied the center, stitched-in-the-ditch around all the blocks, and border

062. Sampler - first quilt

and hand quilted cross-hatch in the border.062. Sampler - first quilt

It was a challenge, but I made it through!

Head on over to Bonnie’s blog to see other first quilts!

Blessings, Peg

3 comments:

  1. That is a great first quilt Peg and I bet you have made up for lost time in the last 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have given up at the cutting! LOL It's still beautiful, Sis.

    ReplyDelete