A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Nosey Parker Neighborhood –Sewing!

A couple of months ago Kat came up with the idea of sharing with the Nosey Parkers in our Neighborhoods.  I didn’t get around to sharing my neighborhood at the time, and missed the Christmas challenge.  But here it is January and she’s challenged us to share about our sewing experience and space.

To answer her questions:

1)  How long have you been sewing? Are you a first generation sewer or was the knowledge handed down to you? Basically tell us about your journey...

The only sewing machine in our house when I was growing up was an old treadle, that my mother used for mending.  Period.  My first personal exposure to sewing was in home ec in high school, where I made an apron, something like this:

That was some nearly 50 years ago.  I went on to sew some clothing for myself, and later for our daughter when she was young.  But it wasn’t a passion for me. 

About 10 years ago, I discovered quilting – and found the passion.

2)  Where do you sew?

I sew in what used to be our family room off the kitchen – and in the master bedroom.  More about that below.

3) What does your sewing room/area look like today in it's real state. Take a picture of it if possible and show it to us real :)

My sewing area is in 3 parts.  First my design wall is in the spare room:

006

The actual sewing area, like I said, is just off the kitchen, in what used to be the family room.

007

We moved the big TV into the living room, and keep the small one in the corner – used both when I’m sewing and when Grizz is cooking.  The ironing board is out and handy more often than not.

Going around the room, fabric is mostly stored in this cupboard:016

With some of my patterns on top015

And current/planned projects on the shelf:014

Bonnie, my sewing/embroidery machine takes pride of place on the desk, with lots of handy storage in the drawers on each side:013

Behind Bonne, Bitsy, the serger, awaits her opportunities to contribute, along with a lamp to illuminate all my mistakes:011

Also behind Bonnie – scisoors basket, a thread holder for the big cones of bobbin thread, drawer unit for threads, a sewing basket with thread and more notions, a basket of smalls, everything as close to within reach as I can make it.  And of course you can see the iron:

009

       010

Off to the side – a trunk with quilt pattern books, a few old sewing patterns, and things that I don’t need too often, and on top of it, another drawer unit of embroidery threads.  The machine beside the drawer unit has absolutely nothing to do with sewing, but needs to be handy for handling blood samples when I visit clients.008

And then, last but not least, Big Bertha takes up one wall in the master bedroom.  Right now, the only space for her:

445

Underneath is my hope chest, but now also some bins with batting, scraps and quilts waiting for BB to do her magic!

4)  What is the first thing that you made which you were really proud of? Show us pics of your favorite project.

This Delectable Mountains quilt was made for Grizz, to reflect the mountains among which we live, using his favorite color.  Done long before the days of BB, I had it professionally quilted at Quilted Cats.

009. Delectable Mountains.jpg

5)  Do you always stick to the "rules" when you sew, or are you more improvisationally minded?

Lacking much imagination, I generally stick to the rules – even finding it much easier to buy a kit, than to try to pick fabrics.  Although come to think of it, I’ve had to pick a lot of fabrics lately.  Must be stretching and growing!

So that’s my story.  I’ll be linked to Kat’s Nosey Parker January post.  Why not head over there and see what everybody else is sharing!

Happy sharing!            Blessings, Peg

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Peg. It is interesting to see how others manage. And you are so neat and tidy! I have an old trunk that looks a lot like yours, except mine is literally falling apart. I should throw it away but it's full of fabric that I don't have another storage spot for ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, and WOW....thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sewing room is packed with so many things...lol
    I am here to have a fun read and thank you for stopping by to comment....you are too kind about my FMQ and I appreciate it. How are you doing with it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so love it that you name your appliances. I thought I was the only one that did that. Do people look at you strangely when you refer to your sewing machine as Bonnie? The other day I told my staff that I was just popping outside to warm up Gracie (my van) and they all looked a bit concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow love that you have 3 whole spaces! Thanks for sharing your journey with us :)
    And I think that your Bonnie & My Big Brother are very related. They look identical except perhaps yours is the newer version to mine...
    Thanks for linking up.
    Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing with us at the Learning Center! .. Pat Sloan
    http://quiltinggallery.com/learning-center/

    ReplyDelete