A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Monday, October 1, 2012

Quilt Shopping Along the Road

As a quilter, and at the beginning of our trip traveling with a quilter, quilt shops and shows were a highlight of course.

The first quilt shop I visited was in Vanderhoof, BC, where I’d purchased fabric for our son’s wedding quilt.  I just had to show them the result, after the help they’d been in first providing me with inspiration and a pattern to get me started, and then choosing those first few fabrics.  You’ve all seen this quilt before, but here it is again:

41

The next quilts I spotted were these, hanging on a rack at the Information Center at McBride, BC, all locally made:

11.McBride gift shop

Every shop we stopped at had its own unique flavor, and some in interesting buildings – just a few highlights:

In Harlotown MT, this unassuming building was hard to find, but when we got inside discovered not only quilts and quilting supplies, but antiques and other handcrafted treasures as well:

01.Handmade in Harlo MT02

In New Ulm MN, one quilt shop had a little patio outside just for husbands to wait, decorated with quilts:

2220

In PEI, this huge building yielded some great bargains just like the sign said:

32.PEI

And also in PEI, there was a real gem tucked down underneath a drugstore:

34.PEI35

At Antigonish, NS the shop was closing for apparently personal reasons:

38.Antigonish

In Mabou, NS (home of the Rankins), I got a real education on the struggles of quilt shops in Canada from the owner there.  The name of the shop reflects the character of the area, the Rankins being famous fiddlers:

46.Mabou

At St. Jacobs ON, the quilt shops were of course run by Amish ladies, whose quilts are to die for.  This shop did not accept credit or debit cards, cash only, a sign of the owner’s lifestyle:

49

In Illinois, this old church had been converted:

51

And had fabulous displays of antique and toy sewing machines. 54

At Panguitch UT, I found the quilt shop tucked in the corner of the Tru Valu hardware store.  Apparently when the local quilt shop closed, the hardware store owner decided to try to continue to meet some of the quilters’ needs, and actually had quite a decent display of wonderful fabrics:

57.Panguitch - hardware store

I found as I traveled that most quilt shops didn’t care for photos taken inside their shops, so after the first couple I contained my enthusiasm to outdoor shots only.

 

Quilt shows – well, we seemed to be either too early or too late for most of them.  But at Walnut Grove, MN at the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum, the quilts abounded:

1809.At LI Wilder Museum, Walnut Grove, MN10111213141517

And at Hawkesbury, NS the Quilt Show sign drew me in.  It turned out they were just setting up, but the ladies kindly let me look around because I couldn’t be back the next day.  The quilts were draped over the back of the pews, later to be hung from the lines strung up near the ceiling:

39.Quilt show Pt Hawkesbury NS4243454041

 

I didn’t purchase at every shop, but here’s what I did net:

This tote bag pattern:

011

And these two sets of fabric that I thought would make fantastic bags for someday:

002003

This table topper that I’ve long admired and wanted to make:

007

An idea for Christmas gifts:

008

An book of inspiration to make memories of our trip:

012

At Harbor Quilts in Antigonish, the owner is also a designer, so I picked up a couple of her designs, each 3-in-1.  She’s closing up shop, but said she’ll be continuing to design:

009

A sample quilt caught my eye, and I couldn’t resist the pattern with a started piece of fabric:

010

These ‘books’ were also irresistible, and I thought how great it would be to have a REAL Book-bag for those trips to the library:

001

A couple more pieces that I just had to have – not sure what I’ll do with them yet, but……:

004005

And all these bits and pieces as possibilities…..

006

for the Big Sky pattern I had picked up in the spring:

003

So that’s the sum total (almost – a couple of pieces are being kept for surprises) of my quilt shopping along the road.  It’s so much fun to see the uniqueness of each shop, the differences in fabrics and styles, the inspiration everywhere.  And, speaking of inspiration, at a Pioneer Village in Jamestown ND, I spotted this sign, and immediately thought of using the design for a quilt someday:

08

Along with doing something with all those church pictures I took…..

I think I have lots to keep me busy in the days ahead.

Happy quilt shopping!                 Blessings, Peg

5 comments:

  1. Hi Peg I have not been on the blog trail for awhile. Took a PRN job and it makes a difference. I was lucky to find my way to your blog today for this great presentation. The quilt with the psalms tugged at my heart. Blessings to you and family dear sista.
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the little tour - I would have loved to tag along - but this is the next best thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness I would love to visit all these places, you must have had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooohhh... I love the book fabric. Looks like you'll be busy this winter, Sis.

    ReplyDelete