A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Answer

Back again to give you the answer to the puzzle.  After my last post about this, I sat down with pen and paper, well actually an Excel workbook and the drawing tool, to try to figure out how this answer was discovered.

So, once again, here’s the gravestone:

60

Here’s the hint:

Start in the top left-hand corner, count over 7 letters, then down 7 letters. Read down, then around in a zig-zagging counter clockwise spiral that expands out from the center.

Here’s a portion of the grid that I worked out, with the starting block marked in RED:

W

M A B I
I R O M T
D I I E 1
T A N M E
S M E R T

From this point, start down then right then up.  Okay has that got you started?

 

Take your time – if you want – to see if you can get anywhere.

 

Okay, here’s the answer:

31.

 

And here’s the grid marked to show you how they got that answer:

002

Start with the yellow block and follow the arrows around.  Sometimes the zig-zag pattern was set aside, and then he had to skip to get the pattern going again.  It was interesting!

 

So, confession time again.  I got along a fair way, but got confused at the dates and ages (because I didn’t know what they were) so had to peak, and found that some of the letters/numbers I had copied incorrectly, and I and 1 were indistinguishable on the engraving. 

But, there it is!     Problem solved!      If only all of life’s problems could be solved as easily as working out a grid!

Happy answers!             Blessings, Peg       

3 comments:

  1. Nope couldn't have figured that out on my own. Very interesting indeed

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a complex puzzle! It reminds me of the Woed puzzles in my newspaper...but more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that I gave up rather sooner than I really wanted to. That is one confusing puzzle. The zig-zags were not consistent and I got a headache trying to figure it out. Oh, well. It's still very cool. Thanks for giving me time to try to sort it out.

    ReplyDelete