A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

It’s Green Day!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone!  Hope you’re all ‘wearin’ the green’!

Also Happy Belated National Quilting Day!  Which was apparently yesterday.   Unfortunately I ran out of time and steam for getting any quilting done, but have finished a few things lately that I’m ready to share.

First, this quilt, I call Life’s Colors, was sent to a sister.  It was a surprise for her, and she reads this blog faithfully, so I didn’t share any progress as it was being built:

008

Next up a tote for another sister.  A while back we were travelling together, and she was digging for something in a bag that was stuffed to the gills.  When I saw this pattern, I thought of her, and eventually found fabrics that I thought she’d like, and this is the result.  It’s called Professional Tote, and has pockets everywhere – a complete organizer for anybody that needs to take things along:

009

In honor of quilting month, I’ve at last completed the binding on this stack of scrap quilts, that were begun in 2011.  They will soon find their way to kids at Children’s Hospital:

007

Then there’s the Tea Shower that has now decorated a table cloth.  A Tea Shower is(was) an African tradition – embroidered tulle meant to cover a set table to keep off the flies and things.  We received one for a wedding shower gift from a South African lady, who also catered our shower and wedding.  I think I may have shown you the Tea Shower some time back:

004

Some years ago, a puppy got hold of it, and chewed some holes that were irreparable.  So, on the advice of a friend who’s a sewer/repairer extraordinaire, I cut out the embroidered bits, and resewed them onto a table cloth that coincidentally had a wee hole where a candle ember had landed:

010

I was really pleased with these results.  Here’s a close-up of one of the ‘appliques’, and a pic of the back, which even looks pretty good!

011

012

I used invisible thread on the top, and button hole stitch to fix them down, then trimmed away all the excess tulle, and it almost looks like the roses are embroidered right onto the table cloth.  So pleased to have saved a memory, and saved a table cloth at the same time!  So on Green Day, I’m celebrating something green for the environment!

As far as Quilting Day/Weekend/Month goes – work continues on Wonky Stars, and a quilt on the frame, and the LQS BOM – should be more to show you all in a few days.

Oh, and I got news yesterday that my name was drawn in a give-away through the Blog Hop Party – pictures will follow when it arrives!

Happy Green!  Happy quilting!               Blessings, Peg

1 comment:

  1. Wow - you have been incredibly busy - such wonderful finishes. Your sisters are very lucky. Are we related, by any chance? Hee Hee. I do have my lovely christmas treasures that I won in your give away a while back - and I love them all. You are so clever in your sewing.

    ReplyDelete