A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

L is for

Lion

053

Lions can run as fast as 36 mph, but only for a short time.  This might be because they run on their tippy-toes!  You know if a lion is a boy because they have a mane.

L is also for lines.  Marking lines on quilts is often used to define quilting patterns, and there are all kinds of marking pens out there.  Lately my two favorites are these:

009

The Clover ‘pen’ is actually chalk that’s dispensed through a little wheel – brushes right off!  And the Frixion pen comes in a multitude of colors (except white), and irons ou

Recently on Love of Quilting, a quilter sent in a tip for marking straight lines on quilts, without using any kind of marking pen.  She suggested that pinning straight strips of fabric along the line you want to quilt works beautifully.  That would certainly make it easy to follow the line, especially if you want to set the line 1/4 or 1/2 inch out from the piece of fabric.

Happy marking!              Blessings, Peg

12 comments:

  1. I was watching a live cam of Pete's Pond, a watering hole in Botswana, and totally lucked out. A impala came racing through the scene quickly perused by a lion! Aahhh! It was so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is also a very thin tape - very similar to masking tape - that you can put on the quilt where you need a straight line - quilt along it - and then move it to another location. It lasts for about 4 moves - then you need a new piece of tape - it comes in a big roll, either 1/4" or 1/2" - so you can lay it along the seam and have a perfect 1/4" or 1/2" quilting line - I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my favourite tool for marking lines is my hera marker - nothing to wash out or possibly affect the fabric down the road. 'Course, it doesn't always show, and then I like my clover "pen" too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't found a marking method that works really well. I have seen the Clover pen/marker before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post! I like your blog's name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How is pinning a piece of fabric easier than drawing a line with a pen? That just seems like a lot of extra work to me. Not being a quilter, I may be missing something. The lion is... yes, he's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a beginning quilter, I will be stopping by often!

    Thanks for sharing....

    Deb

    www.wearinglemon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Peg looks like things are moving right along with you blog. I have a few situations still I can't figure out, but guess I will keep on keeping on. Have one Zig Zag afghan in my grands new college colors and the second one started. Working up a storm. Sore thumbs and wrists but gotta keep on going. It will we well worth it. Using maroon and silver yarn for Bellarmine College in Louisville.
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking pinning fabric would be more work as well

    Obviously I do not know a thing about quilting

    so nice to meet you Peg

    Lady's Knight

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been using a Frixion pen for marking and having good results, but... I did use one for marking an embroidery design on batik and when I ironed it to remove the marks, the marking turned white! Yikes! It's been coming out a bit more with more ironing, but still... I like to use the blue water-soluble pen too and make sure I don't iron it :)

    ReplyDelete