A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

T is for

Tiger

021

A group of tigers is called an ‘ambush’, how appropriate as I can just picture a tiger sneaking around to ambush it's prey.  A tiger cub lives with its mother until it’s about 2 years old.  There are apparently more ‘pet’ tigers in the world than there are wild tigers.

T is also for Tips.  During this challenge, at times I’ve been sharing tips that I’ve picked up here and there, and tried to ensure that I give credit where credit is due.  Most of the tips have come from the TV show Fons’ and Porter’s Love of Quilting, which I find on the Detroit public TV station WTVS.  Some tips, like today’s, come from the magazine Quilting Connections’ FB posts.  So for those of you who like to collect tips, and get some valuable quilting lessons, those are two great sources.

Today’s tip comes from QC’s FB post:

Quilting Tip: Sign your quilt in permanent ink under the label. If the quilt is ever lost or stolen and the label is removed, your name will still be on it!

I have to confess I rarely label my quilts.  They’re going to family or close friends only, so I don’t worry about telling them who made it.  But when I get the quilting done by a professional long-arm quilter, I definitely put on a label to ensure that person gets the credit due her.  I have heard that some will ‘sign’ the binding, so at least the quilt-maker will be known as long as the binding lasts.  And recently somebody told me about a pair of quilts that was sold, and one of them found its way to a thrift shop, and the original quilt-maker found it and was able to buy it back!  Now how special is that – and if the quilt had been labeled, the label could have included contact information for the quilt-maker, asking for it to be returned when no longer needed or wanted!

Happy tips!                Blessings, Peg

4 comments:

  1. Cute tiger. I try and label all the quilts - even those going to family, because later generations won't necessarily know who made it or when, or who it was first given to. We have an old quilt that Don's great aunts made, oh how we wish we had more information than just word of mouth from the aunts, who inherited it and then it came to Don because no one wanted it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still trying to find my style for labeling. I like quilting the label information along the outside border, but that does not always work well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really neat story! I can just imagine the surprise at first sight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another cute appliqué! I do label my quilts, although I sometimes don't label table runners. Since most of my quilts are my pattern samples, I want to make sure they don't get lost! :)

    ReplyDelete