A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

U is for

Unicorn

022

The unicorn is not a real animal, but rather a story.  Unicorn means ‘one horn’, and there have been some goats and gazelles born with only one horn, and so stories about magical horses got started.  I’m not going to go into some of the legends and myths, but I just had to include the unicorn in my list of ‘animals’ because they’ve always fascinated me.

U is also for Useful items – all those little things that are helpful for quilting, that can be found around the house, or in a kitchen or hardware store, and that serve the same purpose as those quilting tools found in quilt stores.  Here’s a list of some that I have on hand:

  • Painter’s masking tape – to mark rulers for easy measurement, to mark the sewing machine plate for an accurate 1/4 inch seam, to secure backing fabric when making the quilt sandwich
  • Gardening gloves, with little ‘nubs’ on the fingers – for guiding your quilt when machine quilting
  • Pants hanger – to hang your pattern in clear view
  • Hair clips or clothes pins – to secure binding for hand-sewing
  • Rubber door stops – to tilt your machine for easier view
  • Chop stick – to push out corners and flatten seams when turning right-side-out
  • Ziploc bags to gather little pieces for quilt blocks, to keep them together in one place
  • Various size bins to keep quilt projects that are on the go
  • Binders – to keep all those patterns and ideas that are collected from the internet, etc.
  • Freezer paper – for applique templates, and for fabric printing
  • Shaving brush - to brush lint out of sewing machine
  • Toothbrush – use dry to remove chalk marking, wet to remove washable marking
  • Wooden clothes pin, taken apart – perfect for ‘finger’ pressing (and you can share one half with a friend!)

Happy uses for all those things just sitting around the house!   Blessings, Peg

3 comments:

  1. Cute unicorn. Love the tips - my favorite is the door stops to tilt the machine - what a fabulous idea!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love learning about secondary uses for ordinary things. We humans are an inventive bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the noble unicorn! I have never figured out how, as some say, they got a horse with a horn from a narwhal. Too much grog on those Pirate and Merchant ships, me thinks. Love the creative uses for all those handy items. I use a pants hanger to hold my cook books - both open and up off the mess I invariably make on the counter.

    ReplyDelete