A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

V is for

Velvet crab

023

The Velvet Crab is a type of crab with a fine hair coating that feels like velvet.  They live in the North Atlantic and in the western Mediterranean sea.  Just like other crabs, they can be eaten, but they’re very small, only about 4 inches across, so you’d need a lot of them to make a meal.

V is also for Value – color value in quilts – dark, medium, light.  How many times have we been told we need to combine these values when we’re choosing our quilt fabrics.  Okay, then, what constitutes dark, medium, light?  Honestly, I’m not good at choosing colors and tones and values, but recently I heard somewhere that using the black-and-white setting on a camera would help in seeing the difference in the value of the colors we’re auditioning for a quilt.  And with today’s cameras, it’s so easy to do that!

Here are two quilts to show you

The first is a mystery quilt done a couple of years ago, and I was to choose a combination of darks, mediums and lights, with one feature fabric as a jump-off point.  Can you see how the feature fabric, and border are the ‘dark’, with the colors becoming ‘medium’ and the background ‘light’

110Kathe's quilt

 

 

 

BandW2

This next is one that I did when I found all the bright colors, and put them against a black background.  There was no intention of using ‘light, medium, dark’ for this quilt, but you can see in the black and white view that indeed there are definitive lights and mediums in the colors.

002 (4)BandW

So there’s one way to practice choosing the value of the colors in quilt fabrics.

Happy value!             Blessings, Peg

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Peg. I'm really enjoying these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Peg. I'm really enjoying these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that would take a lot of crabs to get a meal!
    Value is such an important aspect in quilts, and one that I certainly struggle with - as a rule I'm drawn to mediums and have to force myself to look to the darks and lights to add them. The B&W setting on the camera definitely makes it easier - thanks for the reminder

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of a Velvet Crab, they sound interesting. I'm going to look them up. You've got me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that little crab the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my quilt! I use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete