A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Friday, April 26, 2013

W is for

Whale024

Whales live in water, but they’re not fish, so can’t breathe underwater, but come up to the surface to take their breaths.  Whales eat smaller fish, but don’t have teeth to chew, so just simply swallow their food whole.

W is also for Washing To wash or not to wash, that is the question.  When I bring home quilt fabrics, I always wash, machine dry and press them before I put them away.  This way, I know that whatever their shrinkage may be, it’s already done.  But that’s just my preference.  One person I know washes, but just folds and puts the fabric away, and then only presses as much as she’s going to use when she pulls it out for a quilt.  Again, the shrinkage is done.  I just can’t put the fabric away unpressed, some of it is so wrinkled that it would take ages to press that all out after it’s sat on the shelf for a time in that state. 

There are others who only wash the fabric when they’re ready to use it.  That’s worth considering, but then I think I’d have to divide my stash into washed and unwashed piles because sure as shootin’ I’d want to use some washed and some not in a future project.

And then there are those who don’t wash prior to cutting and sewing, but wash the quilt after it’s all done.  Their reasoning is that the sizing in the fabric helps to keep it stable while cutting.  For that, I use pressing spray, especially when cutting on the diagonal.

And consideration needs to be given to whether or not to wash the batting.  Most batting has minimal shrinkage, but if the fabric is washed and the batting not, there will be some – which, in my opinion gives the quilt that nice ‘used, loved’ look, so I don’t pre-wash batting.

So there you have it – each person has to decide for her/himself, and maybe this discussion will help you.

Happy washed fabric!                 Blessings, Peg

5 comments:

  1. I have to admit i don't pre wash anything. I like the feel of the sizing in the fabric. I do use colour catchers when I wash a finished quilt. Like you said to each their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That whale is super cute. I've been whale watching a few times, (plus on Maui, during whale season you see them constantly from shore) and they never fail to delight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be nice to be able to do that with wool. But I don't think it would work too well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Lee - I usually don't wash fabrics (unless they are dark or red batiks) and I've never pre-washed batting. I like that old-fashioned, wrinkly look after washing too. (Am I still a no-reply blogger, Peg?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unlike Kim and Lee, I'm like you and prefer to wash my fabric before adding it to my stash. I never used to, but on one particular quilt, the fabric dye bled and left some unsightly marks on the quilt. Motto...wash!

    ReplyDelete