A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Saturday, April 27, 2013

X is for

Bird – no, not really, but the only animal beginning with ‘X’ that I could pronounce is a bird called the Xantus

025

The Xantus is a hummingbird that lives in Mexico.  It’s only about 4 inches long, weighs only about 1/10 oz., and has a mostly green body with a mask of black coloring over its face and a white stripe running down the back of its eyes. Its underbelly is described as having a cinnamon color with a dark orange tail.

X is also for X-stitch, my other favorite activity.  I’ve been cross-stitching for so many years, I don’t think I could count them, and when I sit in the evening, it’s how I relax.  For me there’s nothing better to keep my fingers busy.  As much as I enjoy quilting, it is so much more a day-time activity for me, when there’s lots of light and I’m wide awake.  So many less mistakes made that way.  My latest project is one that I’ve shared here before, a pattern converted from a photo of a painting that the artist gave me with her blessing to remake it into a x-stitch.  Stitching started in 2007, intermittently done and a total of 27 months now actually worked on.  It looks like there’s about 3-4 more months work to go – here’s what it looked like about 3 years ago:

036.Kilby x-stitch

And here’s what it looked like about 3 months ago:

004

Do you have a favorite hobby or craft (or if you’re a quilter, another favorite hobby or craft)?

Happy stitching!               Blessings, Peg

4 comments:

  1. Wow - you are really coming along - I think it was at about the three year time that I first saw it in person - great progress. I have been waiting to see what you would pick for X - I should have known. it is going to be fabulous when done.

    I think embroidery and crocheting are my "night" crafts - although as you know, I'm not a night person- so they will have to be my "early evening crafts" - I'm working on a round crocheted Pineapple tablecloth for the round table we finally found yesterday. I'd better hurry, I'm only at about 10" across on the tablecloth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's amazing. I don't think I would have the patience to work on something for that long. Your Xantus is... wait for it... Adorable! (I was wondering how you were going to handle this letter!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big cross-sticher. The last project, however, I went a bit over-board and have been working on it for 18+ months. But it will be beautiful when it's done. In college, the other girls on my floor caught me cross-stitching. When I told them that it helped to calm me before tests, they all started it. By the end of the year, we had cross-stitching evenings in the commons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Other than quilting, my other favorite hobby is fabric collection. LOL. No seriously I'd like to develop a better connection with my camera. I've always wanted to learn how to get amazing photos.

    ReplyDelete