A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Monday, April 29, 2013

Y is for

Yak

026

The Yak is a type of cow that lives in Tibet and parts of China, high up in the mountains, where the air is ‘thin’.  But they have a large lung capacity, allowing them to inhale large amounts of oxygen.  Yak milk makes good cheese, low in fat, and apparently very tasty!

Y is also for Y seams, those oh-so-difficult set-in seams that are so necessary in some quilts.

Y seams

Honestly, I avoid these at all cost!  I’ve yet to do these successfully.  But just in case there’s somebody out there that would want to tackle these, I found a site with a tutorial for how to hand-sew these seams.  And looking at this, I just might be able to do this.  So, if you’re looking for a tutorial, just follow this link to Sentimental Stitches.

Happy Y-seams!               Blessings, Peg

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Yak!! I find that pinning at the point the needle should stop sewing, and then stopping one stitch before that, helps me get those Y seams. And then take the needle out of the project and start a new seam for the other side of the Y - repeating the pinning, sewing, stopping. This keeps me from sewing into the other seams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee Hee I love his craaazy eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an adorable Yak. I don't think I will ever have an opportunity to try out Yak cheese - I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Y is for Yikes I am staying away from Y seams!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Y post. I don't quilt, but I can imagine how difficult it must be to do a Y seam! Congrats on finishing up the A-Z Challenge..! Glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope, not looking for a tutorial. More in the market for someone who's done the tutorial and can produce the finished product... Say, like... Oh, you, for instance! Not to worry, Sis, even without Y-seams, your quilts are amazing. And, yes, the yak is adorable!

    ReplyDelete