A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Monday, May 6, 2013

A Quilting Question

Dresden Plate – a beautiful, beautiful quilt block pattern.

And so many, many variations on the theme.  And probably a number of different methods for making the pieces, all applique I believe:

This morning I opened my email to see this message first on the list:

Hi Peg....
I have a question. I am making a Dresden Plate quilt... the pieces are curved....once I have the circle made...the pattern says to sew it to light weight interfacing....when you turn it inside out you have the good side facing...and the sticky side of the interfacing out ...then you are to press it to fasten to the block...
I am having a horrid time to get the curves to lay flat after I turn it...and I can't press it as it will stick....  It looks awful....
Do you have any suggestions ...

My first thought – oh, man, somebody actually thinks I know what I’m talking about when it comes to quilting.

My second thought – oh, man, Dresden Plate – ummmm…..have I ever even done one?  Nope, not one.  Way back when I first started quilting, I did a sampler that included some curved-piece applique, as well as some Y-seam piecing, and I’ve never got up enough nerve to do either of those again!  And I’ve not tackled hand-applique at all!

My third thought – okay, how can I help?  And I right away thought of all you fabulous quilters out there, who know what you’re doing with things liked curved-piece hand-applique.  So here I am asking for your suggestions.  You needn’t write them to me, just send them on to Bev at This and That (her email contact is available on her profile which you’ll find by the little pansy picture on her sidebar).  If you choose to answer here, I’ll be sure to send the suggestions on to Bev.

My fourth thought, after I finished panicking – well, those pieces should still work, and I’ve already suggested first clipping the curves before turning, and using a chopstick or something like that to smooth out the curved seam after turning, then pressing on a Teflon pressing sheet or parchment paper to get the pieces looking good before pressing onto the block where they’ll stick permanently. 

So can you help?  Looking forward to seeing what you all have to say – and maybe I’ll be inspired to do a Dresden Plate myself, once I know how to do it!

Thanks in advance for your help!           Happy sharing!            Blessings, Peg

4 comments:

  1. you took all of my ideas! good luck to her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never use interfacing for my Dresden plates. I just run a tacking stitch round the curves, finger press them, and then applique on to the backing fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to not clip curves if they are on the outer edge of the circle - only those on the inner curve - just works better for me. I use paper to do my Dresden Plate - turn the curve back against the paper and baste - it helps to ease the curve gathers - and they come out nice and round. If you clip the outer curve it is just going to make pointy places when you try to do the curve. I'm not sure I'd like the iron on interfacing - that seems like ti would make a stiff plate.

    I've also done needle turn - and that involves just turning the tiniest bit of the seam under- if you fold more than one stitch worth then you will have flat places and points. To get the turn to be nice and smooth I use a tooth pick or wooden skewer - they both turn under a tiny bit (still the 1/4" seam) along the seam line. I'm not sure why the wood works better than the needle - but it surely does - so guess I should call it toothpick turn instead of needle turn. The amount turned under stays under while you take a tiny stitch - good luck and have fun.

    ReplyDelete