A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

CQA Show

The first leg of our trip is to the Okonagan area for a couple days of simple R&R, and……for me to visit the Canadian Quilting Association National Juried Show exhibition at Penticton.  We’re in one of our favorite campgrounds near Gallagher Lake, about a 1/2 hour drive from Penticton.  And today my parents are going to come and spend the day with us here in the fresh air and sunshine.

But yesterday was the day to visit the Show, and what a show it was!  The juried show was closed to photography, so I’m sorry I can’t show you any pictures, but I stand amazed at the imagination, creativity and skill of all of those entrants.  Blogger friends Janet and Renata both had entries, and you can be sure I sought theirs out!  Wow – and wow again!  Hopefully they’ll be able to share their creations with you all on their blogs after the show is over – if they do, I’ll be sure to send you in their direction so you can take a look for yourselves at the wonderful quilts they made.

Besides the juried show, there was a Western Canada Fibre Arts display, an invitational show, a display of samples of 24 years of Trend-tex Challenge quilts (5 fabrics supplied in a kit with a theme and entries are auctioned for the benefit of CQA); this year’s theme is Sunshine and Vines, so apt for this area of BC.  Quilts of Valor had a small display also.

So here are some pictures – just a small sampling, but I hope you enjoy the Show

First some of the invitational entries – how I wish there was a way to show you the textures and 3D effects

004005006007008012013014015

The Fibre Arts (aren’t all quilts fibre art?) seemed to feature the elements of wind, water, earth and fire

009010011

And the Challenge quilts:

016017018019020021022023024025026027028029

031

Isn’t it amazing how the same 5 fabrics look so different when an artist starts using them!

While I was at the show, Grizz was out at the lake with Sadie, watching the ducks and geese, and a few other swimmers as well but he didn’t take any pictures of them LOL.071

086

Doesn’t that lake look too cold for swimming?  Apparently the geese thought so.  The sun hasn’t had enough time to warm up that mountain runoff yet.

Happy shows!             Blessings, Peg

6 comments:

  1. I would love to have joined you at the Festival, those quilts are just amazing. As you say, 5 fabrics used by different people produce wildly differing results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wasn't that just a phenomenal show? I left so inspired - and thrilled! Everywhere I looked I was seeing such beautiful work! - seeing the ribbon on my own quilt was definitely a big thrill :)
    Enjoy the rest of your visit to the Okanagan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness those are wonderful. Each and every one of them. True artists in every sense of the word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Peg. I wish I could be there - both for the show, and for the nice weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are absolutely amazing. Yes it is definitely art and of the highest caliber. Yes I would love to touch them.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  6. So what is the rationale behind not allowing photos to be taken at a juried quilt show? I'm just curious.

    ReplyDelete