A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Wednesday’s Words and Hodgepodge

Well, it’s Wednesday again, and the A to Z Challenge is completed (whew!) and life – blogging life that is – gets back to a somewhat normal routine.

1. This week's Hodgepodge is Volume 123. What's something you've done recently that was as easy as 1-2-3?
Believe it or not, it was taking off a sweatshirt.  About a year and a half ago, I awoke one morning unable to move my right arm.  After doctor visits and physiotherapy, X-rays and MRI, the final decision over a year later was ‘frozen shoulder’.  No reason, no cause, just is.  Then a new physiotherapist directed me to yet another physiotherapist for a treatment called Intra Muscular Stimulation.  Well, this new fellow did the treatment (kind of like acupuncture), but said the only ‘cure’ is to stretch and somehow release the adhesions in the rotator cuff.  And stretch he does!  Ouch!  But after he stretches, he relaxes the muscles with the IMS, which also has relieved the inflammation so pain is not near what it could be.  There’s still more work to do, and now it’s apparently time to consult a surgeon to see if surgical release of one particular set of adhesions will help, but in the meantime, I’m able to do more and more actions easier and easier – like take off a sweatshirt over my head!

2. The Wednesday Hodgepodge also happens to fall on the first day of May...what is something you may do this month?
We plan a trip with our trailer – first to stop at the Quilt BC show for a couple of days, then on to Alberta to visit our kids.

3. The Englishman Horace Walpole is credited as saying, "The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think."  How do you see it?
Sometimes when I think about what’s happening in the world around me, I just have to laugh at the comedy of errors that make for some of the tragedies.

4. May is National Hamburger Month...how often do you eat a burger?  What are your must-haves when it comes to burgers?  I assume you vegetarians won't be celebrating so tell us what you'd like instead?
Hamburgers are once-in-awhile in this house – except we BBQ’d last weekend, and will be BBQ’ing again next weekend – hamburgers both times.  And with them – I absolutely must have relish and cheese and bacon

5. Pansies, petunias, geraniums, impatiens...of the four mentioned which is your favorite in a patio pot? Will there be pots on your patio this spring? (Or whenever spring comes to your part of the globe?)  Who does the gardening at your house?
I like them all, but think I favor the smiling faces of the pansies.  There are a couple of pots on our patio and in our front garden – tended to by both of us as the mood strikes. 

These popped up from last year’s planting:

007

6. When did you last (literally or figuratively) shout "Mayday, Mayday!"
Mayday comes from a French word which literally means-help me! 

Almost every day I look for help for something or other, mostly to reach something that I can’t get because my arm just won’t go that far!

7. Say farewell to your April in ten words or less.
Bye-bye April showers!  Hello May flowers!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

The momentum of the 20-minute challenge of March, lasted through most of April, with the A to Z challenge keeping me going making all those little applique blocks. Here’s pics of all the blocks completed:

111. A to F (Challenge)

I just realized that A to F is actually displayed F to A – so Frog, Elephant, Donkey, Cat, Bunny, Alligator

112.G to L

Giraffe, Horse, Iguana, Joey (kangaroo), Koala, Lion

113.M to P

Monkey, Nanny goat, Octopus, Panda

114.Q to T

Quail, Raccoon, Seahorse, Tiger

115U to ZUnicorn, Velvet crab, Whale, Xantus, Yak, Zebra

Toward the end of the month, I started some machine embroidery for a couple of projects – and suddenly ran out of steam!  I want to do the last embroidery, and know what I want to embroider, but not which fabric to use for the background – because I can’t decide on what fabrics to use for the blocks to go with the embroidery.  Such a dilemma!  And I don’t want to take the embroidery arm off until this is done.  So I’ve spent the last few days auditioning fabrics, and procrastinating on getting anything else (quilting-wise) done.  And today, we want to work on getting the trailer ready for our trip…….  Well, you know how it goes!

Happy thoughts, everyone!               Blessings, Peg

5 comments:

  1. I think I've already commented, so feel free to delete this one as it is really just a test to see if you can reply to my comments now that I think I've fixed the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your A to Z this year. I hope the shoulder works itself out - with a little help. I had some surgery a couple of years ago and it was at least a year before things were the way they were supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some pansies that actually survived the winter here. I wonder how they'll fare during our hot summers?

    Yay for being able to take off the sweatshirt! I've got shoulder issues ... while they're definitely not as severe as yours, I can commiserate with the frustration from not being able to do even the simplest things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As soon as you cross the border line into Alberta, you should feel me waving at you:)

    I'm travelling to BC this month, myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. frozen shoulder is no fun - hope you are better soon - sounds like good progress is being made. I'll look for you in Penticton!

    ReplyDelete