A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Wednesday’s Words and Hodgepodge

Back home and back to a normal routine, which includes Hodgepodge.  If you want to read others, click on the link on my sidebar.

1. What question do you often ask yourself?

What WAS I doing?


2. Do you grow roses? What's your favorite color of rose?  Ever been given a dozen roses?  Where was the prettiest rose or rose garden you remember seeing?

We have just a couple of roses bushes now, both yellow, which is probably my favorite color, other than the bronze Woburn Abbey, which I’ve never been able to find, but always wanted to have in my garden since I carried them on our wedding day.  Minter Gardens near here has a fabulous rose garden that we love to visit several times over the season.

The roses are just starting now:

028.Roses

3. Do you read the freshness dates on grocery store products?  Will you use eggs past their 'use by' date?  Take medication that's expired? Buy a dented can?

When buying foods we certainly check the dates, especially of those things that may expire before we get them used up, but once they’re home, if they ‘expire’ we don’t necessarily throw them out, we check to see if they’re still usable or obviously spoiled.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen eggs on a store shelf that are expired.  We certainly avoid dented cans, but given a choice will buy a dented, if it’s not rusted, over a bulging can!!!!  Medications we certainly would not keep past their shelf life, not because they might not be spoiled, but because they might not be effective any longer.

4. Should athletes be role models?

Some athletes are certainly not worthy of being role models, but we know a couple that we’d love to see be role models for children everywhere – that would be our sons!!  DS1 has competed on the national and international stage for over 20 years, not a ‘famous’ athlete, but known in his circles (shot-put, discus, power-lifting and Scottish heavy events).  When he was just 20 years old he was quoted in our local newspaper as saying ‘if it hasn’t been done without drugs, it hasn’t been done’.  I just love telling people that!   DS2 has been a soccer player for most of his life, and now is coaching, loved by children and parents for his skills as a player as well as his approach to coaching that encourages physical as well as emotional/social development.

5. Edmund Hillary of New Zealand and Tenzing Norgay of Nepal became the first explorers to reach the top of Mt. Everest on this date (May 29) back in 1953. What's something you hope to achieve in your lifetime?

I’d like to write – not sure what, and I dabble at it now and again, just don’t really know how to get going!

6. What would you do if you had twenty acres of land and the money to develop it any way you choose?

I always thought it would be wonderful to have a retreat center – especially for pastors and their wives, because I really think pastors need time to rest and refresh periodically after giving so much of themselves to others.

7. If I invite you to a party with a 7 PM start time, what time will I actually see you there?

7:00 PM – I’ve always believed in being on time!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I am an organizer, have always been an organized person, and get frustrated with disorganization.  But I’m learning, slowly, to accept the fact that others are not organized, or at least not organized in the same way that I am.  We had this discussion just a couple of nights ago with our DS2 and DDIL1, and listened to DDIL1 expressing her growth in learning to accept DS2 being very, very organized when he’s at work or on the soccer field, but NOT at home.  But then, why should he be organized at home, he has her to keep him organized there!  LOL! 

Because I am an organizer, I’m regularly going through cupboards and closets and drawers and reorganizing, which drives Grizz crazy!  Because reorganizing usually means moving something somewhere – and then you know what, neither of us can find it!!! LOL LOL!!

But one thing that’s not organized the way I’d like it to be is my quilting rulers.  Right now, they’re standing against a wall in a corner near my sewing machine – handy and not hidden, but pulling out one means usually moving others to get to it.  I do try to keep the smaller ones in front, but that doesn’t always stay that way.  I came across this idea a little while ago, and now I’m on the lookout for one of these (because I can’t seem to motivate Grizz to make me one of those fancy wooden ruler stands):

ruler storage

Doesn’t that look cool!  And how neat to be able to just pick up the ruler I want, and not send 3 or 6 others flying!

Happy organization!                Blessings, Peg

8 comments:

  1. I've been to Woburn Abbey in the UK several times...does the rose have it's roots there?

    I applaud many of these coaches out there working tirelessly with children...my brother is one of those too. Sadly we only seem to hear about the ones who go off the rails in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your answer to the athlete question. You raised two wonderful sons! Role models, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Peg. I am past due my DM check up and don't feel well. Maybe just my imagination. Can't get down to focusing on a subject. My BSs are okay each day. Maybe too fatigued with all the graduation festivities. 3 in one week-end. Blessings dear blogger friend.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sure makes life easier and better when one is organized. I try my best and regularly go through stuff too but I have to say...I live in a state of chaos. If I can't see an item, it doesn't exist to me, so I have to keep stuff out so I'll use it. Clutter and stuff everywhere:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever idea to organize rulers with the old record rack - I've not seen one of those in a long time. Loved your answers to the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought one of those wooden ruler stands/holders and it doesn't hold all my rulers (and I don't think I have that many). This looks like a much better idea ... and probably not as expensive as one of the wooden ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stumbled upon your blog from the AtoZ Road Trip. Lovely post, and what a fun way to get to know you better!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm more an OCD organizer, meaning certain things have - HAVE - to be just so, while others don't. My drinking glasses, for example, have to be lined up in the right order in the right place, but it's fine that the coffee mugs are a jumbled riot (as long as they stay on their side of the cupboard!).

    ReplyDelete