A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wednesday’s Words and Hodgepodge

It’s Wednesday again – where HAS the time gone!!  We’re getting ready for a 2-week vacation, so sewing has been set aside for now.  But here’s Hodgepodge for this week – if you want to read others, click on the link on my sidebar.

1. What do you think makes a good dad?

LOVE – a long, long time ago somebody said to me that all you need to do is love your children, and whatever your mistakes, they won’t be destroyed.  I’m so thankful to have a dad who loves me and loved me all my life (and no, he wasn’t afraid to discipline), and to have a husband who loves our children and has loved them from the minute they were born.

2.  What's something you learned from your own father?

Honesty, integrity, and hard work – well I guess that’s actually three things, but they are the life lessons that my dad taught by word and by example.  I can only hope that I even a little bit emulate him in these areas.

3. It's your birthday-what kind of cake will we be having?

Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate – what other kind is there???

4. When you're faced with a big decision are you more of a go with your gut type of person, or are you someone who reasons it all out, weighing the pros and cons?

Ooh, that’s a toughie – sometimes one, sometimes the other.  I’d like to say I always reason things out, but it’s not actually true in EVERY case

5. June is National Dairy Month. What's your favorite dairy item? Most often purchased dairy item?

I like almost all things dairy, most recently I discovered lemon yogurt – tastes like sour cream lemon pie, so I feel like I’m eating dessert every time I have some (most mornings for breakfast LOL)!

6. Explorer Jacques Cousteau was born on June 11, 1910....what's something you've recently discovered or something you'd like to explore?

I’d like to explore the cave dwellings in New Mexico – the whole idea of that culture fascinates me.  One more thing on the bucket list.

7. Are you typical of your generation?

Well, having grown up in the hippie years, I know I certainly wasn’t typical of my generation as a young person.  Now, I’m probably about as typical as they come – nothing out of the ordinary here!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Getting ready for a trailer trip, and I’m always on the look-out for easy recipes.  I found this one a little while ago, but don’t want to take all these ingredients along with us, so am thinking of using the idea along with a biscuit mix for a quick go-along when we have chili (and we always have chili sometime along the way when we’re traveling).  At least this way I don’t have to have a rolling pin and cookie cutter to make the biscuits:

This is Red Lobster's Cheese Biscuit recipe done in a loaf pan.
3 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup sour cream
3 Tablespoons of butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan with oil. In a bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients. Carefully stir in cheese cubes until covered in flour mixture, this will help prevent your cheese sinking to the bottom of your loaf of bread. In a different bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Fold the wet mixture into the flour and cheese mixture, stir until just combined, do not over stir. Spread the mixture into the loaf pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes and then remove from pan. Allow to cool for one hour before slicing and serving.

Another recipe idea – angel food cake baked with crushed pineapple instead of water.  Again a cake mix, and bake in a loaf pan instead of a tube pan (which won’t fit in the trailer oven anyway).  Yummy and a nice light dessert!

Happy June and travels!                 Blessings, Peg

4 comments:

  1. Things, they are achanging fast Peg. I had planned a post today, really wanted to rant, but choose not, just to state. It is getting where I cannot find where to comment on some of the different programs used. I don't want twitter, facebook, pinterest, or whatever. Of course I don't expect those folks to change for me. I will just stick with folks who are still in the same frame of mind as myself. As you said with the artist you so liked. People and things must change and move on I guess. I am happy where I am and so enjoy your posts.
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering as I look at that Biscuit Loaf and the angel food cake - yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those recipes look so yummy. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh... That cheese loaf looks yummy. And chilli! What a delightful idea. Must make a batch.

    ReplyDelete