A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Wednesday’s Words and Hodgepodge

Home, and happy to be here after our trip, and hot to trot out my herald.  It’s Hodgepodge day today, and I’ll be linked up (click on my sidebar if you want to read more).

1. What's one simple small pleasure on your summer 'to-do' list?

This summer for sure another visit to our local show garden.  In the past we’ve had season’s passes and been out there several times, but early spring was so miserable around here, we put it off, then went on vacation for a bit.  Now we’re home and word is this is the last year for this lovely showcase, so will be trying to get out there real soon!

2. Do you have strong feelings or opinions about the immigration debate in your home country?  Feel free to share your thoughts, but please play nice.

There are times when I wish everybody could live in Canada – I do so appreciate the freedoms and privileges we have here.  But when employment gaps, at any level, are filled by brining people in from other countries before our own are considered (whether native to Canada or already immigrated here), I get a little resentful.  And when I hear that immigrants get a higher level of support than the needy who already live here, then I want immigration to stop.  Yes, we’re a country made of immigrants, and I have no problem with people wanting to live here, but not at the expense of those already here.  Charity begins at home, they say, and sometimes I think our government should pay attention to that.

3. What's something in your home or wardrobe that could be described as 'star spangled'?

Oh, not much.  Not being American, I don’t have American flag decorations around the house.  If we talk about ‘bling’, well not much of that either as I’ve never been much for sparkly.  I do have a T-shirt, decorated in some beads that say ‘ Men Confuse Me, CHOCOLATE I Understand!’

4. Is your house set up for a party?

Well, depends on what you mean by ‘set up’, but we can entertain a good number of people at fairly short notice, especially if they all contribute to the food LOL!

5. What is one never-before-visited city in America would you most like to see?

Ooh, so very, very many, but the first one that springs to mind is New York.  I want one of those t-shirts that says ‘I rode the Subway and survived!’

6. Your favorite red food?  White food?  Blue food?

Red – raspberries   White – banana   Blue – blueberries    Hmm….guess I like fruit!

7. What freedom do you value the most, and why?

Freedom of religion – to be able to worship at will with others of like belief without fear of reprisal

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Almost two weeks ago, southern Alberta was hit with flash floods that affected many communities along the Bow, Elbow and Highwood Rivers.  High River is the city where our DS1 and DDIL2 live and have a vet clinic.  The whole city was evacuated.  Just yesterday the kids finally got into their house, we’re waiting word on the actual condition, but we do know that there’s a lot of cleanup, for sure in the basement.  We haven’t seen any pictures yet of their house, planning to head their way, once we know we can get into the city, to help. 

The clinic, at first was thought to have escaped the worst of it, but then this picture was posted on FB:

High River

When we zoomed in on the clinic, we thought it looked like there was a few feet, especially at the front, between the building and the water:

High River3

Apparently we were mistaken.  Last word is that the clinic will have to be gutted, so the kids are looking for an alternative venue to be able to open up again and serve their clients

We’re still waiting to hear from my uncle who lives just blocks away from the kids, beginning to get a little anxious, but at the same time with no report of illness or worse, we’re relying on ‘no news is good news’.

This has been so very devastating for so very many, and some have literally lost everything (there are reports that houses are not inhabitable because the waters shifted foundations), but we’re happy to hear that the provincial and federal governments are at hand and already beginning to help.  One more reason I love living in this country!

And there are many from out of province available for help, including quilters in BC gathering up quilts to send.

How very blessed we are!                   Blessings, Peg

7 comments:

  1. I did hear about the flooding issues. I hope their house is not bad and that they are able to get set up for vet services soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. I hadn't heard about the flooding up that way, but I did hear about (and was part of!) the flooding in Bavaria last month. Crazy weather. Hope the kids get it all worked out in a timely manner.
    I would LOVE to visit Canada. My husband rode his motorcycle to Labrador, and a few years before that, Alaska. His pictures of Canada were amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I stopped by here. I am making a baby quilt. It's only my 4th foray into the land of quilting (all mine are small, very small) . The one I'm currently undertaking will be for my niece, due in August, and I don't really know how to applique. Teaching myself but would like to have advice if you have some.

    So sorry about the flooding. How scary to have family affected by it. OH, your Men/chocolate t-shirt is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Pat...my daughter had driven by High River and told me about it... I haven't seen pictures... It is just heartbreaking!!...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peg, my sister lives in HR and her two sons/families. May have told you already.

    I just talked to her... today is her "day to cry" as she realizes their losses. Some homes are still submerged. Lots of blessings in it all, but my heart aches for those who are suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrible events lately, flooding in Alberta and in Toronto yesterday, Lac Megantic.... I feel very blessed to live where I do. We are having a fantastic summer with wonderful weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need one of those men/chocolate t-shirts! LOL

    ReplyDelete