A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Games, A Birthday Party, Family, and A Surprise

It was a weekend filled with memories.

When Grizz and I planned our trip to Alberta over the September long weekend, we had one purpose in mind – well, two actually, because we have children there it’s automatic that when we head that way we visit with them.  The other purpose was, at the invitation of the Calgary Highland Games, to help out with judging and scorekeeping for the Scottish Heavy Events.  This isn’t new to us, we’ve been a little bit involved for the past 15 or so years.  Our DS1 has been a competitor for most of those years, but due to an injury he was slated as a judge as well.

The sun shone, and we had a great day with the athletes and other judges and score-keepers.  The first picture below is Grizz, making sure that the throwers stay within their boundaries; the second picture has DS1 and DDIL2 in the center with the Athletic Director doing some announcing (red shirt on the right):

005014

About 2 months ago, we received another invitation for the same weekend – an aunt’s 90th birthday party.  They limited guests to siblings and their spouses and children (as well, of course, as her family with includes a great-great-grandchild).  And so we began planning how to ensure my parents would be able to get there. 

It was a wonderful time – all catching up with each other’s lives.

My aunt looked fabulous!018

And after a while the photo ops started.  Poor Aunt T – she kept thinking it must be over, and somebody else would want another picture.

Here she is with her six children:033

And her 5-generation photo:

026

And here she is with her brothers (unfortunately her 2 older sisters were unable to attend).  Their ages from left to right – 78, 80, 86 and (almost) 90.  That’s my dad sitting next to her:030

In the meantime, our DDIL1 got acceptance to the master’s program in Occupational Therapy in Edmonton, to start on Tuesday.  So they had plans to head for Alberta at the same time as the rest of us.  I, of course, began to dream of having all of our children in the same place with us, even for a short time; and we managed it!  Even got a family picture:

063

Any guesses which three are born to us?

We had such a good time together!

Then Grandpa, and Grandma, stayed behind at the High River home with DS1 and DDIL2 to fix their stairs after the effects of the flood.  And Grizz and I went to stay with DD and DSIL, and we just chilled for a day.  Even their dog wanted nothing more than to relax:photo (3)

We arrived home to the notice of a parcel waiting for us at the post office.  We weren’t expecting anything, so it was a complete surprise to see it was from one of my sisters.  She sent these books:

072

And these batik yardages:

073074

This sister paints mandalas, and I’ve been wanting to do a quilt for her.  Now I have some instructions and ideas, and some fabric to get one started.  It almost feels like MY birthday!

And I am working on some quilts – a log cabin on the go, and a few tops done, with one of them on the long-arm.  I’ve also joined a stash buster quilt-along, more on that to come.

Such happy days!                Blessings, Peg

6 comments:

  1. What an amazing lady your aunt is, she looks so chic and serene. Lovely to have the family together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Peg I loved your picture album. I can tell which ones are yours and Grizz's. The fabric is beautiful don't we all love surprise. When you have a chance will you tell me how to get my blog on facebook. I forget to go to the blogs I follow when they are on facebook so I would like to know how. My e-mail is on my profile. Thanks
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a grand time with the family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a wonderful holiday - the memories will linger on and on. Wonderful photos too.

    And I can't wait to see what wonderful quilts you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a wonderful jam-packed visit! Wow....lucky you to receive such a fabulous parcel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aunt T looks great. Wow. I totally forgot about the party. But I couldn't have made it anyway.

    ReplyDelete