A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Monday, December 2, 2013

Monday’s ‘Musement

I laughed so hard I cried!

Could YOU fill in this map?

Erm, sooo, yeah. We really wish we could tell you this is the worst attempt. It's not even close.

Follow this link to see what (some) British people think the names, and placements, of the United States are:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-thanksgiving-so-we-asked-some-brits-to-label-the-us-stat

This is hilarious!  And, BTW, on this map, California and Texas are correct.

I do have to admit that I’m not 100% sure of the exact placement of some of the eastern and southern states, but I do have some idea, and I do know the names of all 50 states.  But, while I’m admitting this, I have to say that I really think I’d fail, and just as sadly as some of these, if I was asked to fill in the European countries on a blank map.  I wonder what this says about our education of places beyond our own borders and/or just plain awareness as adults of the world beyond our own borders.  Could I name the Asian countries?  Do I know, with any certainty, the names and placements of many of the south Atlantic countries?  It’s worth thinking about!

And, just to help you all out, I’ll give you the (correct) answers to this map tomorrow.

Happy knowledge!             Blessings, Peg

5 comments:

  1. Hi Peg, I saw this on fb and got a good laugh myself. If you divide the US into 4 equal squares I am situated on the midline between North and South East. Kentucky is the top of the start of the Mason Dixon Line,. Blessed Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a child of American parents we had a wooden map of the United States. I would do it over and over again.Delaware and Rhode Island pieces are very tiny. I still have the map! My kids are amazed that I can tell them where the different states are. So I would probably pass this test. Now put up a map of Canada and see if any Americans can place any provinces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. must be 10 years ago now, Rick Mercer did a special on what do Americans know about Canada.... And I recently read a article that 90+ percent of Harvard freshmen don't know what an Ottawa is! So I would think if a Canadian knows Washington DC by grade 5, well, we're way ahead.... Tho I recently took a history course that opened my eyes to some of the history of Asia and Africa, that I never even imagined...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would fail this test miserably, I have now got a map of US by my desk to look up where the states are when I am reading blogs so that I can "see" where they live. But I do know where each of the Aussie states are, but then there are only a few of those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to be so good at this. There was a time that I knew all the states and their capitals. I think I got about 18 of them right this time. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete