A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Cleaning house

It’s spring and typically a time to clean house.  When I clean house, this is not what it looks like:

It’s actually a lot more like this:

In reality, I no longer do the big spring or fall cleaning that I used to do.  I took a lesson from my mother, who cleans one room every month (now lives in a very small place so one a month gets her through her whole house twice a year).  I need to do one or two rooms a month to get through it all twice a year, but that’s okay as long as I don’t pair up the kitchen with any other room LOL!

I’m also a bit of a spot cleaner – I see a spot (cupboard, drawer, closet) that needs cleaning or organizing and clean it on the spot.  Which usually leads to cleaning another cupboard/drawer/closet or two or three, mostly because something has been put in the wrong spot, and when I move it to the right spot…..well you can probably guess how that goes!

A couple of days ago, I opened the drawers underneath our day bed in the spare room 025to look for some beads for a craft project; discovered things I’d completely forgotten I had, things that had been ‘put’ just to put somewhere, things that I used once and have no idea why I kept them, things that I have no idea what they could ever, ever have been used for, just stuff….so the cleaning began.  And the result:026

All my needlecraft, bead, and ribbon supplies are in the right-hand drawer; and painting supplies, tools, glues and such-like are in the left-hand drawer.  (The third drawer is actually for gift-wrapping supplies, and gets cleaned out every time I need to find a gift bag or wrapping paper).  If you look at the top picture again you’ll see a model ship that Grizz started too many years ago to count, and it got tucked away and somehow never came out again.  Well, it’s out now – here’s hoping he’ll get back to it.

In this same cleaning mood, I decided it was time to clean up the computer somewhat, specifically Blogger.  I’ve been noticing that I only hear from about 6-8 blogger friends on a regular basis, and that I’ve been feeling completely bogged down with trying to keep up with all the bloggers that I’ve been following.  So I started to check it out, and chuck it out.  From following something over 150 blogs, I’m down to 37.  Now that’s manageable. 

Happy de-cluttering!                     Blessings, Peg

6 comments:

  1. Great job in cleaning out the drawers - I still have a lot of that to do - but slowly I think. I try to deep clean one room at a time - no schedule but I also do a general spring and fall cleaning - windows, high dusting, move furniture, etc.

    One time when our two youngest were in high school we had a family cleaning day(s) and our daughter protested, saying "but you guys LIKE to clean". Silly girl - we like a clean house, but like to clean? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been trying to declutter my Blog friends list, but am constantly told that they cannot access it at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Peg. A good cleaning in our lives is what we all need. I've also had difficulty staying up with all the blogs, so have cut back a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankfully our house is small enough that I could probably get through the entire house twice in a year's time, doing the one room a month routine. ;-)

    I need to declutter my blog reading list ... unfortunately I went to Feedly when Google Reader closed up shop, and I can't figure out how to remove blogs from Feedly. I just mark them as read and go actually read the blogs I want to keep following. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done for keeping up with the decluttering, it is something I am doing at the moment, but has been sadly neglected a quite a while, have had very busy few years, so its a mammoth job, but it feels so good each time I do a little bit more. Can't wait to be finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup! I should be decluttering too, but I just can't seem to get too it. First it's that thread that needs to be put away, and while there I got caught up in sorting it into colours...and so on and so on. Congratulations on having the discipline to get 'er done!

    ReplyDelete