At least as far as quilting goes.
About 40 years ago, my mother made us a quilt. We used it for a number of years, and it was getting thin and some of the hand stitching was pulling out, so I put it away to save for the memories. This was before I started quilting.
After I started quilting, I pulled it out to admire the work that had gone into it, and was reminded how it had worn out. And started to think about how it maybe could be restored.
Well, sometime last year I really started thinking about it, and earlier this year took the plunge to take it apart and see what I could see. There was no binding – it had been sewn right sides together and turned inside out. The fabric on the top is getting very thin, but no holes, no seams pulled apart but not 100% cotton either – possibly polyester or a poly-cotton blend. The backing fabric appeared to be made from a sheet, a good quality one, that wasn’t near as thin as the top. The batting was poly-fil, and bunching in some areas. Size – about 85x95.
Okay, so now I knew for sure what I was dealing with.
A few weeks ago, our LQS had a sale on backing fabric, so I went out to see what I could get, and brought home a dark blue/black print, a little darker than the dark blue in the quilt top.
Then I got it all sandwiched, and loaded it on Big Bertha – then we went to Alberta to celebrate Thanksgiving and await the birth of our second grandchild.
On coming home, this is what I was facing:
(Well actually not quite like this, but I forgot to take a picture when it was fully loaded)
I was really not sure that I could handle this. Oh, man, this is huge! It took up almost all the space I had on Big Bertha, and I was sure that I couldn’t roll up the whole quilt and still make a pass with my machine.
Finally, finally, I took the plunge. The first few rows, the top thread kept breaking. I tried everything I could think to do, but nothing seemed to work. Then I just simply swapped out the spool of thread – and that was the answer. No more breakage for the rest of the quilt.
Got about 2/3 of the way through, and just knew that I had to take the whole thing off, and turn it around. I’d never done that before, but had been told by others it was do-able. Yes, do-able, but not easy. And then when it’s reloaded, you have to quilt from the front toward the back so as to prevent the fabric shifting and having a fold where the quilting lines meet.
But it got done! Whew! Actually once I was actually quilting, the sewing went fairly easy. I chose to keep the actual quilting design very simple – both to make sure that my quilting lines would work when this was a large roll on the machine, and for my own sanity!
Here it is just after pulling it off the machine, thrown across our bed:
A little more work – trim the excess batting and backing, make and apply binding (which will be made from the backing fabric), press it all, and finally put it back in service.
But first a trip to Alberta to play with those grandchildren some more.
See you all in a couple of weeks! Blessings, Peg