A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Monday, November 24, 2014

Running Out of Time?

With Christmas coming, and all the shopping, baking, decorating, gift-wrapping to do, how do we find time to sew – Christmas gifts, guild or group projects, making and mending for the household, those quilts on the wish list?

Well, today I came across this list of tips to ‘fit’ sewing into our busy schedules.  They were posted on sewcanshe.com.  Of course the truly dedicated sewer/quilter will need to turn some of these the other way around to get the shopping, baking, decorating, gift-wrapping…….all done:

 

9. If house chores are keeping you from sewing, play a little game with yourself. Set a timer and alternate Speed cleaning for 20 minutes then sewing for 20 minutes. It's amazing how much cleaning you can accomplish with the proper motivation and you'll be surprised at how much sewing you can get done in 20 minutes.

8. Block or hide the distracting housework. Close the door to the laundry room. Shove the junk inside and close your children's bedroom doors. Put on your blinders and quickly walk past it all to your sewing room After all, no matter how many times you clean it, that mess is gonna re-appear. Your fabric is calling you! (note: I may or may not shove the dishes into the dishwasher just so they stop distracting me... and then it only takes a second to start it.)

7. Silence interrupters. Turn off or don't answer your phone. Don't answer the door unless it's the UPS man bringing more fabric. I'm sorry to my friends if this seems rude. But when people are busy at work, they routinely let calls go to voicemail. I claim the same luxury. And I will get back to you. :)

6. Keep a to-do list. I find that other tasks stop distracting me if I write them down. Then I know I won't forget them and I can put them out of my mind to sew for a while. 

5. Schedule it in. Plan time to sew first thing in the morning, right after lunch, after the kids get are in bed, etc. It doesn't really matter when... just make sure it's on your schedule. This could be once or twice a week or every day.

4. Set an alarm for when you have to stop - to go get the kids, get ready for work, etc. Knowing that the alarm will stop you, you can stop looking at the clock and focus on your project. 

3. Have a grown-up play date. Invite a friend over for a morning or evening of sewing. She might help you finish a big project, or you can each work on your own.

2. Pack a 'sewing on the go basket' (or bag). I must admit that I enjoy the slower pace of hand sewing just as much as I love sewing with my machine. So I keep a large-ish zipper pouch packed with my latest hand sewing project that I can grab when I know that I'll be waiting. Like on a long car ride, during my daughter's dance class, or in a doctor's waiting room. Paper pieced hexis are excellent an excellent start if you don't already have a hand sewing project.

1. Don't put away your sewing machine... keep it out and ready to go. This will be hard if you don't have a dedicated sewing area. But you know as well as I do that if you put the machine away it will be a while before she's out again.

I say, if your only sewing space is the dining room table, then sew-be-it, but if you can find even the smallest corner of a room, you’ll be happier with your machine always ready-to-go when you find those minutes in between all the other busy stuff

Happy sewing!                    Blessings, Peg

2 comments: