A Pieceful Life

A Pieceful Life

Welcome

I'm so glad that you stopped by, and hope that you enjoy your visit. Here you will find pieces of my life - quilting, cross-stitch, family, travel, friends.
My name is Peg - I am a 60ish wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - and if we're not already related or friends, hope to become your friend too.
We live in the eastern end of the beautiful Fraser Valley, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver, BC. Empty nesters, we have one son living just a few minutes away, our other son and daughter live in Alberta.
Comments are always welcome, always read - and answered if need be. Feel free to share, I love hearing from all my cyber-space friends.
Please do check out some of the links in my side-bar - you'll find other bloggers and fabulous people to visit.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Should Have Paid Attention!

You’ve heard the old saying ‘measure twice, cut once’.  Well, I’m here to add to that – measure once, sew once.

Yesterday I sat down to make a small valance for our ensuite bath window.  I had just the right size piece of fabric, and started sewing away!  Got it all finished, tried to put it on the rod, to discover that the rod pocket was too small!

Oh, brother!  How silly!  It’s not like this was my first rodeo!  So not only did I have to sew that seam twice, but I had to rip it all out first.

Anyway, here’s the result, just a nice little finish to that window:

006

(The color in this picture is way off – no matter what setting I used, couldn’t get the true color).

And while I’m here sharing this tip, I was cleaning out a drawer yesterday, and found a page from an old magazine with a number of tips.  Obviously I’d set it aside to maybe apply some of these, and probably to share with you all.  So here they are:

  • For hanging rulers and templates, use a belt hanger – a good way to get them off your sewing table, especially if you have lots of them
  • Round-A-Belt Hanger
  • For the bottom of a bag or tote, use those nice flexible plastic cutting boards.  Cover the plastic with batting, and a fabric sleeve, and slip into the bottom of the bag
  • For appliqué templates, photocopy onto freezer paper.  You’ll probably need to hand feed the freezer paper into the printer, but then you can press the waxy side of the freezer paper onto your fabric for a cutting guide.  And it’s inexpensive!
  • For ironing fusibles, especially if you don’t have a Teflon sheet, use parchment paper under and over your fabric.  This will save both your ironing board cover and your iron if the fusible slips out from under the fabric. Another common kitchen item, and not expensive either.
  • For frogging, stick the sharp end of a small needle into a cork, and use the eye to slip under the stitches.  Doesn’t fray the thread or the fabric, and the cork gives you a ‘handle’.  And this won’t cost you anything at all!  Just finish up that bottle of wine, and find the needle in your drawer.  Wish I’d seen this before I had to rip out that seam yesterday, but rest assured, this one is in my sewing basket now:

003

Happy tips!                  Blessings, Peg

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips - I use some - and some are new and helpful.

    Sorry about the curtain - I've done the same thing. Reminds me of my dad's saying "I cut it once, it was too short, so I cut it again and it was still too short". That one always made us laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny... just drink a bottle (or two) of wine and you'll save money when you don't have to buy that stitch ripper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great tips Peg....I have my rulers on a pegboard, which works great for me. And I often use freezer paper for templates. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete